VMware Cloud Community
Adirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter server doesn't resume on restart

Hi,

I am using virtual center 2.5 to manage 4 esx hosts. Today I changed the webservice settings (Administration->Virtualcenter managment server configuration-> webservice) by enabling the 'Maintain compatibility with the Virtual Center 1.x web service' for some testing purpose and tried to restart the virtual center service. But the service did not resume and the microsoft event manager says 'the vmware virtual center service terminated unexpectedly'. I tried to edit the vpxd.cfg file to change possible configurations on by enabling it, disabling it and restarting the service, but the virtual center service will not start again.

Is there a way I can revert the webservice settings and bring the virtual center service back. please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try going to Control panel | Add remove program and do install of VC again with "REPAIR" option. That saved us lot of times.

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can you post the log file locate here \%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\ or C:\Windows\Temp\vpx folder besides changing the compatability mode, did you do any database migration or anything? Have you tried to revert back to orginal compatability mode to see if restarted?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here are a series of steps you can check to troubleshoot the problem

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try going to Control panel | Add remove program and do install of VC again with "REPAIR" option. That saved us lot of times.

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Adirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please find the log files herewith. I didn't do any database migration or other activities and its just the webservice compatibility mode I changed before restarting the virtual center service.

I was not able to revert back the original compatibility mode from the vpxd.cfg files found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
Adirtu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a repair installation keeping all my existing settings,configurations undisturbed.

The virtual center service has resumed and is back online.

Thank you all for your help.

0 Kudos