VMware Cloud Community
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter not showing any networking

We have a cluster with 16 HP Proliant 460.

4 of the esx-servers suddenly has HA-error, and it dosn't help to "reconfigure for HA"

If I look under configuration/networking It's empty.

I can't move the VM's to another ESX because VC say I dont have a management network.

It's a produktion cluster so a can't boot the esx.

If I look at esx console the netconfig is ok.

Restarted all serverice but nothing helps.

Can't add network till VC. Message say's already exist...??

Anyone seen this issue before.

Have a case to but still no luck from VMware

//Lasse

0 Kudos
19 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried removing the ESX host form the VC inventory and readding it to the inventory - this should not impact the running vms but will allow VC to reregister the configuraiton of the ESX host - I have not seen this but that would be the thing I would try -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gchoka
Contributor
Contributor

Have you verified the configs using esxcfg-vswitch -l or esxcfg-nics -l on the problematic hosts?

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

First thing I would try is to try to put the host into maintenance mode, that should allow you to migrate the guests onto other hosts. Then you can troubleshot the host with these problems.

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to connect directly to the ESX server and not through VC. Do you see the network configuration this way? If you do then remove the host from the VC and add it again. If you can't connect remotly to the ESX server then you need to check the configuration as someone already suggested: esxcfg-vswif -l, etc.

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

It's not possible to remove esx from the cluster can't take the in maintenace mode. Message: has no manament network. Timeout

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Same result If we connent directly to the host. No netconfig...

As I wrote before, all info in console with esxcfg-vswitch - esxcfg-vswif - esxcfg-nics -l are ok

And there is not possible to move out from the cluster. VC don't think the ESX has any network

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From esxcfg-vswif can you add a second Service Console?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I had something similar, I restarted the host management service.

service mgmt-vmware restart if I remember rightly

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Try 'service network restart' this will restart the networking services, then I would restart the VC sevices with 'service mgmt-vmware restart'. As a last option I would do 'reboot' since you are having these issues.

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

None of the service restart helps I've tried it before

Reboot is not an option. All VM's is produktion servers and are 24/7 uptime

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Try this to create a new service console:

esxcfg-vswitch -a vSwitch2 - This creates a new vswitch (vSwitchx cannot already exist)

esxcfg-vswitch -A 'Backup Service Console' -This sets the port group name

esxcfg-vswif -a vswif1 -i 192.168.0.100 -n 255.255.255.0 -b 192.168.0.255 -p 'Backup Service Console' -This creates the new Service console (need unused IP)

esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic2 vSwitch2 -This links an unused nic to the 'Backup Service Console'

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

I know this option to create a backup switch

But I don't have any free nics

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just do it without any nics assigned or add the new Service Console port group to the production vswitch. It won't use it until you change the default gateway device, so there's nothing to worry about. You have to see if anything you set on the networking configuration has any effect.

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

lol

added a new "backup console" to produltion vSwitch0, restarted all service's but noting shows up

amazing

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you attach the output of esxcfg-vswif -l and esxcfg-nics -l here?

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my config:

# esxcfg-vswif -l

Name Port Group IP Address Netmask Broadcast Enabled DHCP

vswif0 Service Console 10.2.6.27 255.255.0.0 10.2.255.255 true false

# esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 6 64 1500 vmnic1,vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

Service Console 2 1 vmnic0,vmnic1

VMOTION 200 1 vmnic0,vmnic1

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch1 64 8 64 1500 vmnic3,vmnic2

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VLAN129 129 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN152 152 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN151 151 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN149 149 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN148 148 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN147 147 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN135 135 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN132 132 0 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN10 10 1 vmnic2,vmnic3

VLAN2 2 3 vmnic2,vmnic3

# esxcfg-vswif -l

Name Port Group IP Address Netmask Broadcast Enabled DHCP

vswif0 Service Console 10.2.6.27 255.255.0.0 10.2.255.255

# esxcfg-nics -l

Name PCI Driver Link Speed Duplex MTU Description

vmnic0 02:03.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706 1000Base-SX

vmnic1 02:04.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706 1000Base-SX

vmnic2 08:00.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX

vmnic3 0a:00.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

A couple of questions for you... 1) Is this host part of a cluster? 2) Are other hosts having same issue? 3) Are the guests running properly? 4) Is there an unused guest on another host you can test a migration to the bad host and off the bad host? 5) Do you have ANY sheduled maintenance window? I ask these questions in preparation to just power off the bad host, I understand you are 24/7 but if there are other hosts and you can migrate on and off the bad one powering off the bad host will cause guests to be powered on, on a new host. And of course you want to do this IF you have some kind of maintenance window. I wish you the best of luck, I will continue to watch this thread!

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

As you see at the top we have 16 ESX HP 460 C-class in the same cluster

4 esx has the same problem but they are NOT in same encloser or NOT inte same computerhall

It's not possible to migrate to or from this hosts

We have now maintenace windows in the near future

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm out of ideas for now. Keep us posted if anything changes.

0 Kudos