VMware Cloud Community
kopeah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter installation

Hello all,

We currently have 2 ESX servers and we need to install VirtualCenter. Since we don't have any machine dedicated for virtual center yet, is it possible to have it install on a temporary machine and reinstall it later on a dedicated machine once its available or wait until our dedicated machine is available?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I and others have stated, your enviornment as is right now, and even 2 - 3 months out, is great for having VC in a VM

Good Luck!

please consider awarding points for helpful/correct answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what are your plans to grow the enviornment? Have you considered running VC in a VM?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with troy look at using a VM for VC -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would second the running it in a VM. I've used VirtualCenter in a VM for managing large numbers of ESX hosts (40+) without any significant performance issues. And moving it to a physical host is as easy as a V2P or just pointing a new VC install to your old database.

kopeah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We do have plan on adding more ESX servers in 2 -3 months period which is why virtual center is needed. We started with 1 ESX server about 3 months ago and now we have two, so yeah we're growing pretty rapidly.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you could

Its not really that big a deal, as you only have 2 ESX boxes, and I imagine not too many vm's. You can chop and change VC's as you like without downing any vm's. However, this will be more difficult when and if you create a cluster and put both hosts in.

Bear in mind, to remove the host from a cluster, you will have to place the ESX box into maintenance mode.

You can also have VC running a vm...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Heh 1 additional server in 3 months isn't rapid growth mate Smiley Happy

Just go with the virtual machine option..its too easy.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I and others have stated, your enviornment as is right now, and even 2 - 3 months out, is great for having VC in a VM

Good Luck!

please consider awarding points for helpful/correct answers.

0 Kudos