VMware Cloud Community
vmotion21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter in MSCS cluster

Hello,

Anybody has already installed VC in a Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS)?

I have just configured 2 servers in cluster mode with the SP2 of VC on each node. I modified the vpxd.cfg file and copied the file SSL to the second node.

However, when that I ignitialise a failover, I am forced to restart the VMware Virtual Center Server service, how then I to resolve this problem.

NB: I use a SQL 2005 database on another cluster.

Bests regards,

Pete

Message was edited by:

vmotion21

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ronnan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have to install the license server separately, because in the default VC install you can´t redirect the installation directory of the license server to the shared storage.

In the BIN directory on your CD or zip are the separate installs!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
vmotion21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have already seen these 2 links, but when you installed VC in cluster mode, you followed this procedure and nothing else...

For you, if I follow this procedure I do not have problems ?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

I didn't do this myself because it seems like a bit of a hack. For a highly available VC server I would put it in an HA Cluster of ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
Ronnan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a full functional VC/license server MSCS cluster!

1.) Create a MSCS cluster, With a Quorum disk and an other shared disk. With two resource groups, one for the quorum and one for VC. on the VC group add a Name and IP(future VC ip address) resource and the shared disk

2.) Install license server on node A to the shared disk

3.) Stop license service and set license service to manual

4.) Add a cluster resource of type Generic Service and add the Service name (IN SOME CASES NOT THE DISPLAY NAME) and set dependencies to name and disk resources. add SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\VMware License Server to the registry replication

5.) Set VC group offline

6.) Move group(failover) to node B, and bring, name, ip and disk resources online

7.) Install license server again to the shared storage, and set service to manual (This is on Node B)

8.) Bring license server resource online.

The installation of the VC itself goes the same way, but you have to create two service resources, Web Access and the VC server itself.

Then set the Managedip registery key and copy the ssl certificates from node A to Node B

For every service resource i also set registry replication for the service, for the VC service a added the SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter key.

vmotion21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I install directly VirtualCenter Management Server one the shared disk and set the differents service to manual (License server, Web Access and VirtualCenter).

0 Kudos
Ronnan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have to install the license server separately, because in the default VC install you can´t redirect the installation directory of the license server to the shared storage.

In the BIN directory on your CD or zip are the separate installs!

0 Kudos
vmotion21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I installed VirtualCenter Management Server, I have to set the services " Web Acces " and "VMware VirtualCenter Server" to manual and set dependencies to name and disk.

Which are the registry parameters which I have to place for these 2 services.

For Web Access: I don't know

For VMware VirtualCenter Server: SOFTWARE\VMware...

This is normal to leave the services in manual status, they will be restarted in case of failover.

0 Kudos
vmotion21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, it works !!!!!!!

I thank you many of your help, still thank you

Pete

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another option is to use SteelEye Technology's LifeKeeper for Virtual Server. It eliminates the need for MSCS and works just fine on Windows Server Standard and also can protect Oracle or SQL Server.

http://www.steeleye.com/pdf/literature/lk_for_vmware_vc1h07.pdf

0 Kudos
patk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How accurate is this statement in VMware's VC best practice document?:

"VC Management Server (windows service) can be clustered using industry

standard solutions, and only 1 license is required when only one instance

is active at any given time"

...It almost sounds too good to be true...

0 Kudos