VMware Cloud Community
Dan_Johnston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter features question

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I'm doing some testing and evaluation for an ESX environment, and have a question re the different features of VirtualCenter. The VMWare Infrastructure bundles include VirtualCenter Foundation. Does anyone know if VirtualCenter Foundation includes VMWare Converter Enterprise or do I need to upgrade to VirtualCenter Management Server to get this feature??

Thanks in advance

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is NOT included in the foundation version!!

The plugin inside of VirtualCenter is included, as is the cold clone boot cd. The stand alone converter enterprise is not included however.

The plugin provides much the same functionality as the enterprise stand alone product, including remote p2v, so it may not be an issue for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is included.

0 Kudos
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is NOT included in the foundation version!!

The plugin inside of VirtualCenter is included, as is the cold clone boot cd. The stand alone converter enterprise is not included however.

The plugin provides much the same functionality as the enterprise stand alone product, including remote p2v, so it may not be an issue for you.

0 Kudos
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Attached is a screen shot from VMWare's licensing portal. With the exception of VMotion which I purchased as an add-on the other licenses were included in the foundation bundle.Are you saying thet the license Named " VMWare Converter 3.0 Enterprise" Is not for a full version?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like with your Foundation kit, you got a full version of VC Server, which would include the converter enterprise. It looks to be an older kit no longer offered. (Assuming since you have VC 2.0)

With the foundation kits offered now, you get VC Server Foundation, which does not include a license for the converter enterprise standalone. It's the version we run, and this was told to me directly from VMware support.

See attatched screenshot.

0 Kudos
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually have VC 2.5. I purchased the foundation kit back in December. They must have changed the Offerings.

0 Kudos
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that I think about it. I think I purchased prior to the official release of 3.5, Therfore I was on 2.0 and received the upgrade to 3.5 as part of my Subscription.

Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just wish VMware would disclose this simple fact. Would have saved me a heated discussion with one of their support reps.

0 Kudos