VMware Cloud Community
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter Server (vpxd) will not start! Error: Address Conflict between 2 VMs

Hi All,

I have an issue with ESX 3.5 and VC 2. I restarted the VC Management Server and the VirtualCenter Service (vxpd) will not start. I've tried vxpd -s (stand alone). No luck. I get the following errors.

detected IP conflict between vm (moId:vm-9902) nic:GuestInfo.net[0].ipAddress[0] and entity (moId:vm-9873)

Failed to initialize: not well-formed (invalid token)

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

I have used VIClient to access the ESX Host where these Virtual Servers reside. I have made sure HLMVMS1DC1 is powered down and then tried restarting vxpd on the VC Server. Still same issue. I even unregistered the VM "HLMVMS1DC1" and tried again. No luck. CIHVMSDC1SOURCE is powered on and operating as a Windows DC.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Heath.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Restart your db as well. Are you using sql or windows authentication? Make sure accounts have not expired.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
GabbyIRL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this error is not the cause of your problem. I had exactly the same issue which I resolved (by asking DB admin to remove entry!) but Server still did not start.

Your problem is more likely caused by having one ESX hosts updated to 3.5u2 without upgrading VirtualCenter. This causes the problem. Solution is to upgrade your VirtualCenter Server to 2.5u2, with the service not started. On completion service should start OK.

0 Kudos
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

Great. Thank you. I will try your suggestion.

Heath Jones

Direct: 347-882-1894 or 720-259-2274

0 Kudos