VMware Cloud Community
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter Server service stopping out of the blue

Anyone seen this. I can manually start the server service and literally less than a minute later it stops on its own.

I checked the properties of the db_owner schema properties and the owner is dbo as is recommended.

Anyone have any ideas?

This problem literally began about 2 hours ago.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

After I manually start the VC Server Service, vpxd shows up as running in Task Manager. After about 45 seconds the task either kills itself or something else does it. Because vpxd can't stay running we aren't able to login to VC.

0 Kudos
bister
Expert
Expert

Did you check your DB? Free space for transaction log etc.? A working DB is very important for running Virtual Center.

Also check C:\WINNT\Temp\vpx for log files.

I had major issues with VC and not correctly working SQL2000. After going through acr's posting I finally got it running without problems.

Respectfully,

Christian

0 Kudos
gus27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Because vpxd can't stay running we

aren't able to login to VC.

Why don't you reinstall VC on a fresh DB or reset the DB data?

Guido

0 Kudos
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

We're saving those options as a last resort. I'll have a dba in the office this morning to help check out logs and to ensure we have the necessary space.

0 Kudos
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

We've given up. We're reinstalling with a fresh database.

0 Kudos
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

As an update to this:

We uninstalled Virtual Server had our dba create a new database following VMware's guidelines and reinstalled Virtual Server.

We used the VI client to connect to Virtual Server, created our cluster, added one host and were in the middle of adding a second when we got a message saying we had lost connection.

Event viewer has the exact same error I posted above.

0 Kudos
Tonemess
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem. We're running on Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1 and the client was at 9.0.2.0.

We upgraded from VC 1.4 to 2.0.1 and the DB upgrade could have gone better. Things weren't stable and service crashed often. So I reloaded from scratch and still the problems followed.

For S 'n' G I upgraded the Oracle client to 9.0.2.8 and bam service is stable and we had vpxd.exe which was running at 100% now is right were it needs to be.

Hope this helps someone.

Tony

0 Kudos
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was having the same problem today too. Ultimately what fixed it was stopping IIS since it was running. once I did that, started up tomcat and it's been working fine since.

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've had a similar problem. The service would stop at random interval, sometimes multiple times a day. We upgraded to Patch 2 on our Virtual Center Server and Client and since then, the service just keeps running Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dtdionne
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, get this....

I havent touched one of my customers esx deployments in almost 8 months..I get a call this morning and apparently there was a power event last night and no one can get to any of the servers that were guests. I crank up virtual center and it fails with the classic "go away im actively refusing you...as a person!". I remoted into the VC server and sure enough the VC service is not started, naturally I try to start it and it starts but i get the same message when trying to login to VC. I check the server and the VC service has stopped.

After a few more equally frustrating itterations of the same, I open a browser and put the following into my ie google toolbar:

virtualcenter service keeps failing

and the very first hit is THIS THREAD...it takes me all of ~7 min to read through it and I see all fo the stuff about the database and I begin bracing myself for what appears to be at least a 1 - 2 hr journey, then I see the next to last post stateing that they had to stop iis to let tomcat start and blam...tis up.

Can you blame me for trying the obviously much quicker option of stopping iis?

and just like in krc1517's case...BLAM tomcat stays up, VC stays up and im logged into VC

You need proof that we have left the industrial age (or whatever age we were just in) and have entered the Information Age!!!!!!!!!

I GIVE YOU GOOGLE AND VMTN POST 71433!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fellow Network/System/IT weenies, I sit here in shock and awe because it took me longer to post this message then solve my problem!!!

I LOVE THE INTERNET.....AND VMWARE!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
dtdionne
Contributor
Contributor

Oh and BTW....before I dive into this, does anyone know if you can run tomcat and iis on the same box? Is it just a matter of making sure they don't run into each other at the party...i mean at the same port?

0 Kudos
berbee
Contributor
Contributor

I think someone had too much coffee this morning...

But I'd have to agree with everything you just stated - I just had the exact same experience!

0 Kudos
sjmp
Contributor
Contributor

I am running SQL 2005 Standard - and just installed vcenter for the first time and have seen this happen. Just patched ESX server and it still occurred right in the middle of working on the vcenter machine.

0 Kudos