VMware Cloud Community
Heartstealer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter Server Service dont start up due to a DB issue. Verified the DB connectivity... test success

Hi Guys,

I encountered sudden VirtualCenter service shutdown due to DB error. However, DB connectivity is fine I went to oracle odbc on my server and tested the same... after this vCenter service is not starting up. Please find the event viewer error message below. I have couple of questions more which i have included after the error message.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VMware VirtualCenter Server

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 2/5/2009

Time: 11:04:07 PM

User: N/A

Computer: SRVVC10

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Check database connectivity before restarting. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (HY000) - [ODBC][Ora]ORA-01653: unable to extend table VPX_OWNER.VPX_EVENT_ARG by 128 in tablespace VPX_DATA

" is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_EVENT_ARG (EVENT_ID, ARG_ID, ARG_TYPE, ARG_DATA, OBJ_TYPE, OBJ_NAME) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)".

-

Is oracle a good Database for vCenter installation? What are the best practices related to Oracle hosting a vCenter metadata DB?

I am only able to find best practices and fine tuning tips for SQL Smiley Sad we dont have a robust SQL environment and Oracle is on a highly available environment hence that is recommended by enterprise security team and DB team Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
capablanca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you checked if there is free disk space on the DB server?

Have you made any changes to the VC or DB?

What does the vpxd.log show?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dellboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What happens if you restart the vCenter database instance on your oracle server, and start the VirtualCenter Server Service on your vCenter box?

Sorry, haven't had a great deal of experience with vCenter running on Oracle, as most customers have used MS SQL

capablanca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you checked if there is free disk space on the DB server?

Have you made any changes to the VC or DB?

What does the vpxd.log show?

0 Kudos
Heartstealer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys ...

As u assumed capablanca it was due that the table space was less ... we increased the same and it fixed the issue.

Thanks a ton guys.

Regards raul

0 Kudos