VMware Cloud Community
jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter Eval

We've purchased VI 3 and I have two ESX servers. I'm doing an eval of Virtual Center, but I can only connect to one ESX server. Looks like there is a license issue. Is the eval license supposed to be for only one or did I do something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Run this command on the problem host and then try to add it again:

service mgmt-vmware restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you click the Admin button from within VC and then select licences, it should show you how many you have available.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need to use license server based licensing for your evaluation. When you signed up for the eval, you will have received a license for host based licensing and one for license server licensing. The eval license you get for VC should be good for 16 CPU slots in your ESX hosts.

On your VC server you'll want to add the license file and then restart the "VMware License Server" service or use the licensing tool to reread the licensing file. If you then open the VI client and point it at the VC server, you can do to Admin\Licenses and you should see a number of licenses for VC, ESX Standard, Vmotion, etc.

If that's the case, then point the VI client at your ESX host, go to configuration \ licensing and change the license source to be a license server and enter the IP or DNS name of your VC server.

0 Kudos
jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I received the license VI_Centralized_Plus_VCMS.lic and VI_SingleHost.lic. I'm assuming VI_Centralized_Plus_VCMS.lic is the one I need to install on the License server.

In the "Server Status" of the license server I show the licenses.

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of ESX_FULL_BACKUP: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_ESXHOST: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 2 licenses in use)

"VC_ESXHOST" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

floating license

SYSTEM vc01 vc01 (v2005.05) (vc01/27000 201), start Thu 6/21 15:10, 2 licenses

Users of VC_VMOTION: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_DAS: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_DRS: (Total of 16 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

I've pointed both ESX servers to the license server by IP address. The first one works fine. But when I right click and hit Connect on the second server, I get the pop-up error "Failed to install the Virtual Center Agent service". I've made sure the username and password are correct.

Anyone ever seen this?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Run this command on the problem host and then try to add it again:

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast