VMware Cloud Community
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter Eval

I'm doing an eval of VirtualCenter that I have configured to connect to a licensed copy of ESX Server 3.0.2. Once the eval of VirtualCenter expires, will I still be able to manage the ESX server as before with the VI Client? I just want to make sure that something "bad" doesn't happen to my VM's when the VC license expires.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No,

Leave the settings as it is in the picture.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

Welcome to the forums.

You'll have to define "bad..."

Your running VM's will carry on as normal.

But you'll have problems rebooting VM's, starting new VM's, deploying templates etc...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not being able to reboot VM's or start new ones would be bad - if I couldn't even do this from the VI client. If that's the case, would I just need to uninstall VC before the license expires so that I have the same VI/ESX functionality before the VC trial?

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No,

What you could do is keep your ESX server licensed locally by the licensed file.

This should keep your ESX host licensed to the file, rather than the EVAL license that the VC is on.

~y

ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to make sure I understand .... When VC expires, ESX will be licensed locally by the licensed file (no need for me to change anything for it to revert back to this?). And I'll be able to manage ESX and the VM's with the VI client as before.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep,

The ESX server will be licensed locally.

One thing you need to do is untick the check box within the VC configuration, which overrides esx host license configurations.

~y

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you steer me to where I'll find that check box?

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no problemo,

Administration tab > VirtualCenter Management Config > License Server

You'll see the check box there.

~y

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found it. I've attached a screen print of what my setting looks like. If I uncheck the "evaluate virtual center" box, then the box "use license services on this virtualcenter server" is checked.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No,

Leave the settings as it is in the picture.

~y

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help and extreme patience with me.

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I finished my eval of Virtual Center and uninstalled the VC components. When I use the VI Client to access my ESX server, I'm still getting the message "the host is currently being managed by the Virtual Center with the IP addresss x.x.x.x. What else do I need to do to get rid of this?

0 Kudos