VMware Cloud Community
wbiesty
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter 2.5 fails to start after reboot when using SQL Express 2005

VirtualCenter 2.5 fails to start after reboot when using SQL Express 2005 on the same host.

If it waited a few more seconds, service broker would have been ready. Manually starting the service fixes the problem in the short term.

Events:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Starting VMware VirtualCenter 2.5.0 build-64192.

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now.

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( vmware-ufad-vci ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: vmware-ufad-vci service started.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the service starts OK manually afterwards (I assume you mean you are starting the service in services.msc as opposed to running vpxd.exe -s), then it's likely the services mentioned are coming up before the database does. Try setting the VMware services to be dependent on the SQL Server service and it will probably be fine.

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello, I have had same issue few days ago.

Please read my post here --> http://communities.vmware.com/message/834966

Don't forget to give me some point if my answer is helfull.

Regards

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
wbiesty
Contributor
Contributor

I followed links to and added "MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM" (like "lanmanworkstation"'s key)

as the name of the service to depend on in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd\DependOnService"

Now the server fails to start silently! Clicking start in Services control panel gives "Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

Now I get this error without that value. Value is now:

ProtectedStorage

lanmanworkstation

Now I can't get the service to start and get the 1075 error.

William

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check to fix the speed of you network card. I advise you to fix it to 100 MB Full duplex

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
wbiesty
Contributor
Contributor

There seems to be a bug in regedit or Services. When I reboot with just ProtectedStorage and lanmanworkstation as dependencies the server fails to start as before but does start on a manual start. I added MSSQL as a depending service and the VirtualCenter Server (VCS) started no problem. On reboot, however, VCS didn't start and I got the 1075 error on manual start. Removed MSSQL and on manual start got the 1075 error. On reboot, the gods were with me and VCS started, no doubt due to timing.

I'll wait to hear from VMware before messing with the registry again. VMware?

William

P.S. I fail to see how checking my network card speed and mode could affect this situation.... (Though it is in 100MB Full duplex anyway.)

0 Kudos