VMware Cloud Community
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter 2.5 License Cannot be Changed?

Hello,

Initially, i have installed the VC as an Evaluation Version. When I have received my License, i have pointed in the License Server. Now, when i go to the Administration Tab --> VirtualCenter Management Configuration. The License Server, still the Evaluation VirtualCenter Server is Checked. When i check the Use the License Services on this VirtualCenter Server and hit O.K, I got a message, There is not enough License Installed to Perform the Operation. And when i check the Use the following License Server and given 27000@Localhost, also I got the There is not enough License Installed to Perform the Operation.

Server Diags:

Diagnostics

-

FLEXlm diagnostics on Sun 7/20/2008 14:09

-

License file: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses\VMware.lic

-

"PROD_ESX_FULL" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

License server: nbbdevsan01

floating license starts: 1-jan-1990, no expiration date

TS_OK: Checkout permitted when client is using terminal client

This license can be checked out

-

"ESX_FULL_BACKUP" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

"VC_ESXHOST" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

"VC_VMOTION" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

"VC_DAS" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

"VC_DRS" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

"PROD_VC_EXPRESS" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

-

Server Status:----

Status

-

Flexible License Manager status on Sun 7/20/2008 14:23

http://Detecting lmgrd processes...

License server status: 27000@nbbdevsan01

License file(s) on nbbdevsan01: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses\VMware.lic:

nbbdevsan01: license server UP (MASTER) v10.8

Vendor daemon status (on nbbdevsan01):

VMWARELM: UP v10.8

Feature usage info:

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 2 licenses in use)

"PROD_ESX_FULL" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

floating license

root nbbdevesx03.nt.dom /dev/tty (v2005.05) (nbbdevsan01/27000 204), start Thu 7/10 9:11

root nbbdevesx04.nt.dom /dev/tty (v2005.05) (nbbdevsan01/27000 503), start Thu 7/10 8:33

Users of ESX_FULL_BACKUP: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 2 licenses in use)

"ESX_FULL_BACKUP" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

floating license

root nbbdevesx03.nt.dom /dev/tty (v2005.05) (nbbdevsan01/27000 104), start Thu 7/10 9:11

root nbbdevesx04.nt.dom /dev/tty (v2005.05) (nbbdevsan01/27000 603), start Thu 7/10 8:33

Users of VC_ESXHOST: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_VMOTION: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_DAS: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_DRS: (Total of 6 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of PROD_VC_EXPRESS: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in

The VirtualCenter still shows is running under the Evaluation Version.

Any help?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DallasJF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You have qite a bit of information in your question, but I have recently gone through the same issues, with the exact same error message (not enough licenses). Reinstalling the agent to the host may help, but fomr what I have seen, if VC already has the host/vm tables loaded, then changing from Eval to License mode is tricky. You may try to remove the hosts from VC, reload the agents to the host, and then ensure your have all of the licenses for each host. Combining them into one file is also an issue that may occur, but I don't know how to resolve that. Then, load the hosts back into the datacenter.

I hope this helps. I wound up recreating the VC server, to ensure no Windows registry artifacts were left before moving to production.

cheers,

John

a.k.a. Working.Man

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried restarting the virtual center server service?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello weinstein5,

1. DNS is working perfectly since the Installation between the VC and ESX Hosts.

2. Verfied the DNS once gain and it's working perfectly.

3. Telnet from a Network P.C to the VC on port 27000 and 27010 ports are listening.

4. Telneted from ESX Server to VC, Ports are listening.

5. Restared VC Server, problem didn't solved.

6. Launched the VI Client and accessed ESX Hosts directly and configured the License to be pointed to the License Server, it's working Perfectly on both Servers.

7. Launched the VI Client and accessed via VirtualCenter Server, Licenses Featurs it shows is pointing to the License Server "Which is running the VC Service Server". But the Days Remaining still shows to me in the VC.

8. In the VC -->Administration --> VirtualCenter Configuration. "Still shows as an Evaluation Version"

9. VMotioned all VirtualMachines from one host to another, Restarted the ESX Server, with No Luck

10. Tried to change the options in VC --> Administration -->VirtualCenter Configuration, No Luck.

11. Does the only options remaining, is Re-Installing VC Server or Modify the Installations?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like the licensing server is working - do you have the licensing server cohosted with your vc server? do not know if this will tell me anything but I think you might have to uninstall and reinstall -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

No, I don;t have a license Server cohosted anywhere other than the License Server Service. I have uninstalled the VC, SQL DB and Re-Install it once again. During the installation, i have selected to use the Existing License Installed, But when I started to create my folders, Clusters and adding the hosts I got the Funny Error There is not enough License Installed to Perform the Operation. Logged in to the ESX Server locally, --> Configuration Tab --> License Features "The ESX Hosts are mapped to the License Server correctly by the FQDN with all it's features."

Why when I wanted to Add the Host to the VC i got this message then There is not enough License Installed to Perform the Operation???

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What if I uninstall the VirtualCenter Agent and reinstall it once again to each host, will it solve the problem?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos
DallasJF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You have qite a bit of information in your question, but I have recently gone through the same issues, with the exact same error message (not enough licenses). Reinstalling the agent to the host may help, but fomr what I have seen, if VC already has the host/vm tables loaded, then changing from Eval to License mode is tricky. You may try to remove the hosts from VC, reload the agents to the host, and then ensure your have all of the licenses for each host. Combining them into one file is also an issue that may occur, but I don't know how to resolve that. Then, load the hosts back into the datacenter.

I hope this helps. I wound up recreating the VC server, to ensure no Windows registry artifacts were left before moving to production.

cheers,

John

a.k.a. Working.Man
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello

The problem is semi-solve by reinstalling everything from scratchm but again it gives me the same error "There are not enough license installed to perform the operation". What i did, is i went to the VC --> Administration --> VirtualCenter Management Sever Configuration -- > License Server list --> in the VirtualCenter Server Edition -->> "Changed to VirtualCenter Foundation Manager" instead of VirtualCenter Management Server!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm able to add the Hosts to the VC and Cluster.

But, does this gives any impact to the VirtualCenter functions?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos
FASS_CRC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC Foundation has limited functionality compared to Enterprise, the three flavours are Foundation/Standard/Enterprise with an increasing feature set as you go up, bit like esx, see:

https://www.vmware.com/products/vi/vc/buy.html

for the difference in feature set

Check your vmware account on vmware and look at licenses, if you bought products over time as i did, merge them into one license file if appropriate and use that, it may be you'r using a license file that only has licenses for esx servers etc

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hello FASS,

The license which i have bought is the Enterprise License for 6 Processors. The question why the VC is able to add the Host once I changed the VC Edition to Foundation Management Server? With the Default Settings of the VC which is the VirtualCenter Management Server it. However, before this problem accourd, the VirtualCenter Edtion was set to VirtualCenter Management Server:) Something worried Smiley Sad

I think the only option i have got is to install the VC along with the Licensing Service on a Fresh VM and try it out. I'm sure it will work. Till I reformat the current physical server and start over again.

If someone has an idea on how to get rid of this problem, please share it.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos