VMware Cloud Community
mawillis
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter 2.0.2 unable to complete tasks

Hi, I have a strange issue with my VirtualCenter Installation in that when I attempt to perform nearly any task it times out, or sometimes does not even start and remains in an "In Progress" or "Queued" state. A vMotion task will always hang at 90% before timing out. Generating diagnostic bundles hangs in the "In Progress" state so I can not generate diagnostic information. Also, the ESX hosts often disagrees with VirtualCenter in terms of VM state i.e The host will correctly indicate a VM is powered on when VirtualCenter displays it as being powered off.

My environment consists of 3 ESX 3.0.2 hosts, a physical VC 2.0.2 server with SQL Server 2000 sp4 installed on the same machine. Interestingly the VC database has recently increased in size from 300 MB to over 600MB. This setup has been working fine since upgrading ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0.1 4 weeks ago.

I have tried various troubleshooting. I have removed one host from the cluster and was able to reboot it but no improvement with tasks relating to this server. I wonder if I need to reinstall VirtualCenter with a fresh database. Can you advise on the impact of doing this? As I understand it, server configuration should remain intact such as Storage and Networking configuration, but I will have to reconfigure my cluster setup and resource pools. Can anyone point me to some good documentation on VirtuaCenter disaster recovery?

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Regards,

Mark.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mawillis
Contributor
Contributor

Running "service mgmt-vmware restart" on each host, and removing them from VC and re-adding them back in seems to have resolved this issue. I am testing now but so far so good.

Any ideas why ESX and VirtualCenter seemed to get out of sync in this case so we can try and prevent it from happening again?

0 Kudos