Jump to solution

VirtualCenter 2.0.1 to 2.5.0 license issue

Currently running the following:

7 x esx-3.0.1 and 3.0.2 (mix)

A server running Virtual Centre 2.0.1

On SQL MSDE 2000

Licence server v10.13

So I want to do the following:

Add new esx 3.5.0 server (not upgrade as I have some new blades so will build as 3.5.0 and migrate current guests over to them and then fresh install the esx 3.5.0 over the old 3.0.1 servers)

Upgrade my MSDE as it keeps running in to the 2gb size limit and then stopping.

I know VCentre 2.0.1 wont support esx 3.5.0, and so I'll need to upgrade to 2.5.0 to manage esx 3.5.0 servers and my current 3.0.1 servers.

I also know MSDE2000 is not compatible with VC 2.5.0 so need to upgrade this also.

So what I plan to do (have started to do):

Build a new windows 2003 server (sp2)

Install SQL2000 std sp4

Install VC 2.5.0 this I'll run in the 60 day evaluation period and so not point at my licence server

"remove" (right click remove) my esx servers on VC2.0.1 and add them to my new VC2.5.0, I know I'll loose all the stats so I'm not bothered. I also don't use HA or VMotion also don't do snap shots as all this is done at the SAN level (EMC)

This is where I'm up to, only move one esx 3.0.1 server across so far and built an esx 3.5.0 server.

The bit I'm not sure about is what to do regarding the licensing? I see the server I have moved across is displaying in VC > configuration > license > add ons as "Unlicensed Use" under virtualCentre Agent for ESX Servers. I assume that this is because I'm now managing it from an unlicensed VCentre (evaluation mode).

So if when I have moved all my esx servers across to the new VCentre how do I transfer the license over to this new install of VC? Do I need to uninstall it and then point my new VC at the license server (so taking it out of evaluation mode) on my old box or enable license server on this one re import all the license files and re license the esx servers to this new license server?

Hope this all makes sense?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good questions.

It is typical to co-locate the license server with the virtual center. If you are separating your environments, then you will, at least for a time, have two license servers. Point to your new server, if you have the licenses registered on it, of course. Once your old server is gone, you can move all servers to use the new license server. I would say to use the new license server, and have that up and running first if you're creating a new one on a new server.

Until you have moved your hosts to the new vc server, run your new vc in evaluation mode, if you don't have the additional vc license. Once they've been moved, you can shut down the old vc service, and restart your license service. That should clear your licenses, and you should be able to register your new vc to the license server.

If you are replacing instead of upgrading, there may be a chance that the old license is not checked back in when the 3.0.x server is shut down. In that case, you may have to do a few license server restarts to get things working and all licenses checked back in, until all your ESX hosts are updated.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll move vc from an evaluation mode to a license server in the license settings in the virtual center administration settings. Then make sure your license server has all of your license files added to it. Then, go to the configuration of the esx hosts, and change them to use the license source and configure for the licensed features you have available to you.

-KjB

0 Kudos
James1955
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"move vc from an evaluation mode to a license server in the license settings in the virtual center administration settingsmove vc from an evaluation mode to a license server in the license settings in the virtual center administration settings"

I can see that this is where I switch the licensing on, but I need to choose whether to point it to my current license server or to select Use license services on this VC server, I'm not sure what the best option is.

I can see that if I move the license server i'll need to re license all esx servers to the new location.

Also I can't see how I'll get my old VCenter to release its license to allow me to use it on this new VC server.

One other question...I'm thinking aloud now....if i'm doing a rolling replacement of old esx 3.0.1 reinstalled to 3.5.0 will i run out of licenses or will the fact that the old esx server is formated/not on make that license available?

Cheers

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good questions.

It is typical to co-locate the license server with the virtual center. If you are separating your environments, then you will, at least for a time, have two license servers. Point to your new server, if you have the licenses registered on it, of course. Once your old server is gone, you can move all servers to use the new license server. I would say to use the new license server, and have that up and running first if you're creating a new one on a new server.

Until you have moved your hosts to the new vc server, run your new vc in evaluation mode, if you don't have the additional vc license. Once they've been moved, you can shut down the old vc service, and restart your license service. That should clear your licenses, and you should be able to register your new vc to the license server.

If you are replacing instead of upgrading, there may be a chance that the old license is not checked back in when the 3.0.x server is shut down. In that case, you may have to do a few license server restarts to get things working and all licenses checked back in, until all your ESX hosts are updated.

-KjB

0 Kudos