VMware Cloud Community
SantoshKumar36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual network adapter goes to invalid backing

Hi Friends,

I need an expertise advice.

I have created two Datacenters (PROD and DR).

In PROD , I have created  vDS switch with multiple port groups associated with different VLANs.

In DR also , I have created vDS switch with multiple port groups associated with different VLANs.

NOTE : Both the Ports groups naming convention is totally different.

We are taking back up of VMs through veeam replication from PROD to DR.

In the DR scenario, we will make the PROD site completely down, then we power on the VMs (replicated from PROD VMs) . Now at the first power on , VMs Network adapter will be in "invalid backing" state, then we plug in the right port group to bring it on to network. Now the VMs are working fine with network up.

Again, when we make the DR down, and made the PROD up (For all the VMs in PROD).Network adapter is associated with same port group.

Now again, if we take the increment back up (replication) from PROD to DR VMs, again,In DR VMs the network adapter goes to invalid backing up and again i have to plug the right port group.

My assumption """  the problem is, the vDS port groups in PROD DC is not being displayed to DR DC """"

Can any one help me on this in any angle, How can i fix this issue.

Regards

Santosh K

+91 9880343387

Santosh K | If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SantoshKumar36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seeking an expertise advice.

Santosh K | If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points.
0 Kudos
EnsignA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are using the same vCenter to control both datacenters, that is probably the problem.  We use a separate Center instance for DR.  We can then use the same network names. The issue that arises is that in general your DR location might have different subnets, so even if you name the vlan's the same they could actually be different network addresses.  So, even if you eliminate the invalid backing error, the VM will not actually work.  We are fortunate that our network team has implemented OTV on the Cisco Nexus platform, which essentailly "stretches" our VLAN's across physical locations, which mitigates the networking problem.  Either way, however, you would need a different vCenter instance, and if you don't have OTV, you would need to execute a script inside the DR VM to change it's network settings after a failover.

0 Kudos
SantoshKumar36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks En,

I got the problem. You are right !!

From VMware tech support also, i got the same message. From veem also as well.

Anywaz, thansk for the support!!

0 Kudos