VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual disk could not be opened

Im getting this when trying to run the prescan.bat. It seems to be unable to open the VMDK and thus cannont even begin to mount it.

\[2007-04-03 15:58:47.154 'App' 3012 info] Current working directory: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup F

ramework\generic

\[2007-04-03 15:58:47.732 'BaseLibs' 4516 warning] \[Vmdb_Unset] Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/

\[2007-04-03 15:58:59.951 'vcbMounter' 3012 error] Error: Error while opening disk blklst:///vmfs/volumes/4610e739-2e6ca57

7-075e-0015170b12a0/TSTVCB01/TSTVCB01.vmx-snapshot-6\[SAN_CX502_LUN56] /TSTVCB01/TSTVCB01-000005.vmdk@10.6.1.34:902?xxxx/x

xxx: A virtual disk could not be opened. -- Cannot open disk file: Error : Disk library failed (One LUN could not be open

ed). Unable to open 'blklst:///vmfs/volumes/4610e739-2e6ca577-075e-0015170b12a0/TSTVCB01/TSTVCB01.vmx-snapshot-6[SAN_CX50

2_LUN56] /TSTVCB01/TSTVCB01-000005.vmdk@10.6.1.34:902'. Failed to configure disk scsi0:0.

\[2007-04-03 15:58:59.951 'vcbMounter' 3012 error] An error occured, cleaning up...

\[2007-04-03 15:59:00.794 'vcbMounter' 3012 warning] Snapshot deletion failed. Attempting to clean up snapshot database...

External command failed. See error above.

Exit Code: 1[/b]

Does this make sense to anyone? Im such a NOOB when it comes to VCB.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From checking out the other threads, this looks like maybe its a LUN visibility issue.... Im using a CX500 for my SAN with the VM as a VMFS volume booting of the LUN. As long as both storage groups can see the SAN i should be alright i would assume. My ESX box is presented to the SAN as well as my proxy server. Right? I cant see what problem there could be with LUN visibility.

0 Kudos
ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are using an EMC clariion/cx system. Usually this error happens when you have a single path between vcb proxy and the storage controller and the storage sometimes "tresspass" the lun from a controller to another and vcb is unable to see the other one and also, not having drivers, is not able to tresspass it back.

Usually we use a "navicli" script from the vcb proxy to be sure that the lun is presented on the right controller before running vcb scripts.

Hope this helps,

regards.

0 Kudos
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I can guarantee i have dual paths to the SPs from my VCBserver, plus, Powerpath shows all 4 paths available as well. Now for the ESX box to the SAN, that might be a possible issue. If the ESX host only had accessto SAN via limited paths, could that pose a problem? Is there a good command to run to verify my paths?

I guess im confused on what config i should even have on the SAN side. My VM's LUN is presented to the same CX that my VCB server is presented too. However, the actual LUN in which the VM resides (VMFS) is not presented to the VCB Storage Group, which is proper because that would definitely be breaking EMC guidelines and best practices. So is just having the ESX and the VCB server on the same SAN enough if they both have all of their paths? Yikes.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Timothy_Craney
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get resolution for this? I'm seeing some of the same issues.

0 Kudos
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, never did get a resolution for this issue. I continued to have connectivity problems. VCB just does not sit right with me.

What issue exactly are you running into? What backup solution are you using that you integrated VCB into?

0 Kudos
ScottHolman
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same problem. VCB does not support multipathing. In fact I had to uninstall Powerpath from the VCB server to get it to work.

Check out the following KB

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=2195414

Also, the VCB server must be able to see all the LUN's that contain the VM's you want to back up using VCB.

Hope that helps.

Scott

0 Kudos
korman
Contributor
Contributor

Mike did you ever find a solution to this issue?

I am able to do perform an image level backup with vcbmounter.exe but the file level fails with the same error you are getting...

0 Kudos
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Greg,

No, unfortunately i do not have an answer. I have not dealt with issue at all recently. When i get a chance i will try it again. though. However, based off the KB article listed earlier, it appears the newer version of VCB (newer than 1.0) should have fixed these issues. I have yet to try it and confirm, but im hoping for the best. Let me know if you try it and have any luck.

Thanks

-mike

0 Kudos
gmarcil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem today and was able to fix the eror by adding the VCB User account to the Administrators group of the VCB Backup proxy.

See if that fixes your problem.

Cheers,

Gilles

0 Kudos
BruCe-5191
Contributor
Contributor

Issue

When creating a file based backup with vcbmounter.exe or pre-command.wsf the backup fails with the following error:

\[YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.SSS 'vcbMounter' 5716 error] Error: Error while opening disk blklst://snapshot-441\[Production] SERVER/SERVER.vmdk@domain.com?xxxx/xxxx: A virtual disk could not be opened. -- Cannot open disk file: Error : Disk library failed (One LUN could not be opened). Unable to open 'blklst://snapshot-441\[Production] SERVER/SERVER.vmdk@domain.com'. Failed to configure disk scsi0:0.

\[YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.SSS 'vcbMounter' 5716 error] An error occured, cleaning up...

The datastore has two LUNs with the extent being used through a separate controller/target ID.

Resolution

Both LUNs need to be presented on the same Controller/Target ID:

\- Move both LUNs to the same Controller/Target ID

\- In Computer Management right click on Storage | Disk Management and select Rescan Disks

\- Restart the VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended service on the VCB Proxy

Products

VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.X

VCP-5191 :: "Welcome to VIRTUALIZATION CLUB. If tonight is your first night... YOU HAVE TO VIRTUALIZE!"
0 Kudos
joost1981
Contributor
Contributor

Gilles,

I had the same problem too, I was able to mount a snapshot manually from the VCB Proxy. Only if I started the backup job from Legato Networker I had the same error as described in this topic because the user mentioned in de backup scripts of Legate Networker was a different one then the user I logged into the console to perform the manual mounting.

Thank you.

Joost.

0 Kudos
joost1981
Contributor
Contributor

Gilles,

I had the same problem too, I was able to mount a snapshot manually from the VCB Proxy. Only if I started the backup job from Legato Networker I had the same error as described in this topic because the user mentioned in de backup scripts of Legate Networker was a different one then the user I logged into the console to perform the manual mounting.

Thank you.

Joost.

0 Kudos
qauser1
Contributor
Contributor

the same here issue for me, I can do snapshot for image but fail to run script for file-level. I also tried to restart service VMWare on proxy and issue still stay. Thanks in advance for any input.

0 Kudos