VMware Cloud Community
noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual center server2.5 installation

Hi i'm trying to install virtual center 2.5. I downloaded and installed SQL express 2005 after that i tried installing VC and selected the option as SQL express as database but at the end it throwed an error " Error 25065.Setup failed to launch the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installer." I'm trying to install this on a virtual machine where windows server 2k3 is loaded. Does anyone have any idea why this error comes up.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Does the event log throw something out about that?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

No other info in the event log. Just shows the error message" Error 25065.Setup failed to launch the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installer" and the event id is 10005

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Is the event source MSI or DCOM? Any error code?

Post the event, please.

Edited by AWo

0 Kudos
noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

Source is MSIInstaller

0 Kudos
noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

Event screenshot posted.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Event screenshot posted.

No. Nothing attached...

0 Kudos
noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

Please check now. event log is attached

0 Kudos
ksee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm also having this same error. I can't install Virtual Center into the server. OS is Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition 32bit.

Please help.

0 Kudos
phredbroughton
Contributor
Contributor

Same error here trying to install Infrastructure for Eval on Windows XP Pro SP3.

I am using the download file VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English.zip

I can run the MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION SERVICE PACK 2 installer from the directory of extracted files if I start it individually. The application log records

Product: VMware VirtualCenter Server -- Error 25065.Setup failed to launch the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installer.

And then

Product: VMware VirtualCenter Server -- Installation operation failed.

I did note that immediately prior to these entries, McAfee restarted unexpectedly

The McShield service terminated unexpectedly.

Please review event 5019 or 5051 for details. The McShield service will be restarted in 5 seconds;

I'm not sure this has anything to do with it, but I will stop McAfee and retry. It seems more like installer is not finding the SQL installer where it expects it to be, but that's just my gut talking.

Rebooting now to try without McAfee

0 Kudos
phredbroughton
Contributor
Contributor

Only wishful thinking Smiley Wink Disabling McAfee had no effect except that my system is screaming fast like I wish it was all the time!!!

Anybody got a clue how to get Virtual Server installed on XP Pro for an eval without running into this road block?

0 Kudos
phredbroughton
Contributor
Contributor

Just to get rolling, I used the SQL installer that came with VMWare and installed a new database instance on my system. I then created a System DSN using ODBC to connect to it and it appears to be working. I completed the install with no errors and am beginning to setup and test. This will work for my eval, but I sure wouldn't want to start off this way for a production install Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you select the option to use SQL Express during the virtual Center install it will try to install SQL Express onto your server. The error may be because SQL express is already installed.

If you are going to use SQL Express the easiets option would be to uninstall the existing SQL express and let the VC install install its copy.

Cheers

Craig

phredbroughton
Contributor
Contributor

That would be fine except that the other instances are active and used 24x7 for logging and monitoring apps Smiley Wink

Since I was setting up to evaluate only creating the DB manually and setting up a system DSN with ODBC worked fine.

Thanks for the idea though. Perhaps someone else with nothing to lose by removing any existing SQL Express instances could try it to see if it works. At least that would give us 2 work around methods until someone can answer the original question Smiley Wink

noorjahan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

I downloaded the virtualcenter 2.5 ZIP format file again and i extracted the files with windows default extracter. After that i clicked on autorun.exe and i could complete the installation with out any issues.

In my case i found that my zip software 'IZARC' was created problems after extracting the files it re arrainges the files in different order. so i uninstalled IZARC and extracted with the windows default extracter. I also found that if you have sql server already installed on your machine still it don't create any problems.

Once again Thanks everyone!!

0 Kudos