VMware Cloud Community
vrinda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual center permissions

Hi,

I have installed Virtual center 2.5 managing 2 ESX servers.

I want to know what are the different permissions available for this virtual center and how do i create them.

Can i get similar permissions we configure it for ESX servers.

By default in Virtual center 2.5 , there is only one user named "administrators" who is the member of hosts and clusters.

If i try to add administrator,guest users and give read only permissions, i am not able to view/modify the properties of any of the ESX servers and virtual machines.

This forced me to uninstall and re-install the virtual center and sql server database all over again.

Can you please let me know how to assign proper permissions to this virtual center without disturbing the default administrator access.

Thanks...............

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A nice summary of managing permissions in VC can be found in the following technical paper:

For additional help with the relations of the vaious objects in VC, see the diagram posted in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/886845

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A nice summary of managing permissions in VC can be found in the following technical paper:

For additional help with the relations of the vaious objects in VC, see the diagram posted in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/886845

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have greater flexibility with the permissions in VC over ESX - the users/groups in vc are either local form the local users and groups on the windows box you installed or from AD if the server is a memebr server of your domain - by default the local administrators group is granted administrator access to your vc environment - so as long as your login name is part of that group wou will have administrator access - when adding permission you will need to make sure they propogare = check out page 261 of

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Is it possible to give a user full access to one ESX server in a datacenter but no access to the other server in the datacenter? If this is possible what role is applicable? Thanks.

Yaw

0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Please ignore my previous post, I found a solution for my environment.

Yaw

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is = A couple ways of doing this - First off you need to decide what type of role you want to grant to the user and pair the user with the role to the host - or create a group with users and then to remove access set the user to no access because apply permission to a user take precednce over group permissions -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. What I did do was move one server to a new datacenter. I couldn't figure out how to give complete users access to one server in a datacenter while users had no access to the other server. The problem I kept having was when I gave the users full access to one server on the ESX server level they could not create new VM's since datastore access was on the datacenter level. If I wanted how could I implement the latter?

Yaw

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They need read-only access at the datacenter level, and make sure to turn off propagate. As long as they can see the datastore, and they have access at the host level, you should be good to go.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello KjB,

I tested out what you suggested. By giving read-only access at the datacenter level (non-propagated) and administrator access at the ESX host level (propagated) on a account. With this account it does not allow me to create vm's. Am I missing something?

yaw

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you creating the vm inside of a resource pool? Is the server part of a cluster? I would add the permission on the resource pool or folder you want the user to have access to.

-KjB

0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No KjB there's no resource pool and the two ESX hosts are not in a cluster just in the same datacenter. To be as specific as possible, I right-clicked on the datacenter added permissions as read-only (non-propagate) and right-clicked on the ESX host added permisions as administrator (propagate) for the one user account, per your instructions above. Perhaps I'm executing something incorrectly?

yaw

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, when you view the permission at the host level, do you see the correct role for the user you just added, and does the 'defined in' section state this object?

-KjB

0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I see 'Administrator' which what I want for the role on the host object and it shows 'this object' under defined in.

yaw

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is likely that your problem is the user doesn't have permissions to "store" that VM in any folders. You need to provide permissions to both the resource under "Host & Clusters" and folder in "Virtual Machines & Templates" (again, see the diagram linked in my original response)

Regards,

J

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with hicksj. Go to the folder under the virtual machines & templates view, and make sure the permission for the user on the folder you want to store in has the same "administrator" role shown. Otherwise, add the correct permission there as well. This is my one big complaint about VC permissions, and I've had to come up with complex permission sets, especially when users exist in multiple groups.

-KjB

0 Kudos
yawasare1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My thanks to kjb007 & hicksj for your help.

yaw

0 Kudos