VMware Cloud Community
JWVMCS
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual center 2.5 r3 can't connect host suddenly

Ok so I was busy adding hosts happily to the new VC when all of a sudden I was getting the error :

"Unable to contact the specified host (hostname). This might be because the host is not available on the network, There's a configuration problem, or the management services are not responding"

Well I've done all the normal checks:

mgmt, vpxa, authd, pings between host and VC & VC to Host

I've reinstalled the vpxa agent etc..etc too

This problem happened all of a sudden, it disconnected itself in VC while I was adding a template. I'd done 10 or so with no problem.

I went on to add another host (to test) and got the same error. So I can conclude this is not a host based issue. To be absolutely confident this isn't Host related I tried adding the disconnected Host back to the original VC, it connected.

So this leaves me with a major issue. The new VC is still managing a fair amount of Hosts/Clusters but and DRS/HA is still running but I can't add anymore templates or hosts in as I've mentioned.

I'm running in evaluation mode while the ACL's on the network are setup for the license server, I'm hoping it's something to do with this maybe?

Any ideas, is it worth reinstalling VC over the top? All settings are retained right?

Thanks

JW

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JWVMCS
Contributor
Contributor

Issue was caused by an IP routing problem.

Environment had a dedicated NFS connection mapped to a NIC...someone kindly messed the routing up!! Thanks for that!

JW

0 Kudos
NotAvailable
Contributor
Contributor

Hello JW,

I am having exactly the same situation with a client's installation since yesterday. I restarted / reinstalled vpxa etc...

But I wondered, how there could be a routing problem, when

IP-communication between VC and ESX Host seems to be OK?! I can ping,

ssh, and telnet port 443 and 902 from VC to esx1 - and DNS seem to work

fine too.

Can you tell me what exactly was your error and how you solved it?

Thank you!!

0 Kudos