VMware Cloud Community
Jaikudo
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual SQL Server on VMware

Hi

I am fairly new to the Virtualisation world, and recently we have migrated to our infrastructure to vsphere 4.

I have a question regarding Microsoft SQL server 2008 standard edition: How many vCPUs should I give to the server, and does 1vCPU means/equals 1 physical CPU, or 1 Core? We have SQL licence for 1 processor only.

We have 2 HP hosts, with 2 Quad core Processors per host, and a SAN with almost TB raided storage.

I would appreciate any help regarding vCPU and how it will effect 1 processor licensing issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
geddam
Expert
Expert

Best Example for SQL Licensing in virtual environments:

A company that was paying $35,000 to run SQL Server Enterprise Edition on a physical 2-CPU server may now well get by with only paying $17,500 to run a one-CPU instance on a two or four CPU dual core ESX Server and still receive similar or even improved performance.

Bottom Line:

If you run the SQL in virtual OS environments, you need a license for each virtual processor used by those virtual OS environments on a particular server-whether the total number of virtual processors is lesser or greater than the number of physical number of processors in that server.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos