VMware Cloud Community
kurtdepauw
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machines status not correct vissible

Hello,

We have at the office 3 ESX servers, after upgrading to the new version of VirtualCenter 2.0.2 I can see that only on one of our ESX server nodes the status is correct visuable

see screenshot

http://www.fekanv.be/vmware.jpg

Regards,

Kurt

0 Kudos
43 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

TRy reinstalling vmware tools

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was having the same problem and a service vmware-vpxa restart brought back all of the status lights for my vms.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I see you beat me to the punch bjmoore !

0 Kudos
joelgb
Contributor
Contributor

Our shop too has been experiencing this issue. It started after VC 2.0.1 Patch 2. It happens pretty much anytime after a host is rebooted, or the Virtual Center service is restarted on the VC server.

For us this happens 100% of the time upon a host reboot/VC service restart. Every time we have to restart the vpxa client on the host.

I have an open ticket with support, but they haven't been able to fix this issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

To compare notes. Our VC server is win2k3 R2 SP2, SQL2005 SP2. Fully patched ESX 3.0.1 hosts. Our VMs are a mix of linux and windows. We are running from an iSCSI SAN.

Message was edited by: joelgb

0 Kudos
kurtdepauw
Contributor
Contributor

Yep that did the trick

service vmware-vpxa restart

I hope they fix it in the near future

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

kurt remember to assign points for helpful/correct answers.

See you on VMTN

0 Kudos
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pardon my ignorance but where exactly is this vpxa service - on the ESX host itself or the guest VMs? If on the ESX host how do you go about restarting it?

Many thanks.

Chris

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You'd SSH into the console of your ESX server, su - to get root access and then type "service vmware-vpxa" restart. It should show you progress for restarting the service. After a few minutes VC will poll the ESX host again and the status lights should reappear.

0 Kudos
chris_delaney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fantastic - that's done the trick. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm also getting this problem.

I can get the status back by #service vmware-vpxa restart but then if I restart the virtual center service, i lose all the vm status and have to run service vmware-vpxa restart on each host again. Has everyone who upgraded to 2.0.2 got this problem?

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue :

VCenter 2.0.2

ESX 3.0.2

Some VM's didn't show the status so I restarted the vmware-vpxa service.

Now all VM's don't show the status.

I've done this 15 minutes ago.

???

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw a similar problem after I restarted the VC service on the windows server it was hosted on. I might suggest restarting that service, then restarting mgmt-vmware and vmware-vpxa again.

good luck!

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Now took a look at the affected server and still the VM*s status is missing.

So I did

service vmware-vpxa stop

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware vpxa start

and now the status is back 🐵 but VMware needs to fix it.

I do not want to connect to each ESX (we have about 50 at the moment)

and issue those commands ... what about a centralized CLI interface in VCenter guys ???

It would be easier with it to implement those workarounds ... :o)))

0 Kudos
hazent
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same issue. Just upgraded VirtualCenter to 2.0.2

VCenter 2.0.2

ESX 3.0.1

Some VMs had a status, some did not. After restarting the VCenter Service I have no status on any VMs

0 Kudos
hazent
Contributor
Contributor

After restarting mgmt and vpxa I now have status on all of my windows server guests, but not for my Linux Guests.

FYI - If I point my VIClient to my host server instead of my Virtual Center Server, I have a status on all guests (even before stopping and restarting mgmt and vpxa)

Message was edited by:

hazent

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

I see the status of Winodws & Linux VM's after restarting

mgmt-vmware and vmware-vpxa

Did someone create a SR with VMware ?

I think I will create one today.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got a SR open...still working on it though.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just recreated all of my VM-related alarms and that seemed to clear it up, at least for now...

0 Kudos
joelgb
Contributor
Contributor

My guess is that even after recreating all your VM alarms, if you restart the Virtual Center Service your status lights will stop working again. At least that is what happens on our setup.

I had a SR open but after trying many things (recreating alarms, reinstalling the vpxa agents on the ESX hosts, total fresh reinstall of virtual center and database on a VM instead of a physical host), it was closed because our ESX servers are not running on supported hardware. We run IBM x345's(not supported) an equallogic SAN, qlogic 4052c HBAs, and each box has Quad Port Intel Gigabit NICs.

bjmoore: If you don't mind, what hardware are you running and are you on totally supported hardware? How much troubleshooting have you done with this issue?

0 Kudos