VMware Cloud Community
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine shows extremely high Memory Utilization, but the Guest OS shows that it's only using half of the memory granted.

Basically what's happening is that inside my VI Client on my Virtual Center Server, one my VM's shows that it is utilizing all of the memory issued to it. But when I access the console, the guest OS is reporting that it's only utilizing half of the memory in Task Manager. No processes inside of Task Manager are reporting high CPU or high memory utilization either... This is a production server and can't afford to restart it during working hours, any suggestions??

Information that may be useful:

- This VM was converted P2V.

- I have another VM that was not converted, and everything shows to be fine.

PLEASE CHECK THE IMAGES

0 Kudos
7 Replies
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

I may have figured it out, I will test my theory tonight on non-production hours and repost what I find. Do i get any points if I reply withthe answer?? :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do i get any points if I reply withthe answer??

You get a point per post so I guess you got 1 point for posting the answer. Also you can't really trust what the OS says about CPU / Memory inside the guest. It is unaware of the amount of resources it is getting since it fluctuates. You should test the VI Client mostly but also look at how much memory is actually assigned to the VM compared to what ESX is actually giving it.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

I'm assigning 4gb's to each VM, I know that is way too much for what I need, but it still says it's not enough.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How much RAM was in the box when it was a physical server? Is it a hefty process that is spiking the RAM like that?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't check the resource settings in my VM. I set the resource reservation to the VM to equal that amount allocated by the host, after a reboot, I think that will take care of the alarm trigger.

0 Kudos
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

Take a look at the picures I provided. That shows you normal memory activity. I watched it for a long time, it's just a file server, and no spike in RAM.

0 Kudos
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

Dumb mistake, I changed the resource settings in my VM and reboot the Guest OS and everything was fine! Lesson learned for next time!

0 Kudos