VMware Cloud Community
Lfrisino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown options

We will be testing a simulated "loss of power" scenerio at our location with our Liebert 3-phase battery backup on our ESX hosts. Under the Configuration tab of VC, Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown Properties, there is a checkbox to "Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system."

I want the vms to shutdown gracefully after a "plink" command has been issued to the ESX host from the Liebert battery backup before the hosts themselves shutdown. I do not want the vms to power on themselves after we power on the ESX hosts. Is there a setting/command somewhere for the vms NOT to power back on after the host is powered back on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In startup/shutdown options you can turn off startup by selecting Manual Startup for individual VM's. You can still use Shutdown Guest as a Shutdown option instead of Power Off which is the default.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In startup/shutdown options you can turn off startup by selecting Manual Startup for individual VM's. You can still use Shutdown Guest as a Shutdown option instead of Power Off which is the default.

0 Kudos
Lfrisino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks - If it was any closer to me.....

0 Kudos