VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine Corruption?

Long story: VI Client was being used on a machine and a CDROM on the PC was connected to a VM as a client device. The PC encountered a STOP error. Subsequent attempts to access the virtual machine via virtual center failed. Multiple different errors. I finally was able to get the VM powered on using the vmware-cmd tool, but now information is wrong in VC. DRS is running and cannot migrate the VM. So while the operating system in the guest is running, the VM and it's interface with VC is generally messed up.

How do I recover from this and get a clean VM without losing the OS/data/etc in the VM? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It may just be an issue with the VMX file. Try shutting hte machine down. Then create a new Virtual Machine but don't creat new disks for it, just point them to the VM's existing VMDK's and start it up and see if it runs. I have this work for me before in the past.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It may just be an issue with the VMX file. Try shutting hte machine down. Then create a new Virtual Machine but don't creat new disks for it, just point them to the VM's existing VMDK's and start it up and see if it runs. I have this work for me before in the past.

0 Kudos