VMware Cloud Community
-stijn-
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Infrastructure client for UNIX/LINUX

Is there a VIC available for Solaris (UNIX/Linux), some users do not have a windows server and they need to connect to the console by using the VIC from a Unix server.

Thanks,

-Stijn-

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think that not. I don't understand why they need to connect to VM consoles from a UNIX server?

0 Kudos
-stijn-
Contributor
Contributor

It's a special department and they only use Sun Rays with a Smart Card, that's why ...

They do not have any windows based laptops ... currently they are accessing XP Virtual Machines through RDP (launched from Solaris), but that is quite slow for screen rendering and so on. And I hope that performance would increase by usinig the VIC to connect to the XP Virtual Machines...

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Stijn,

there's currently no linux VI client Smiley Sad

concerning your speed issue, VIC is even slower than RDP for graphic rendering....

to speed up RDP, reduce the resolution, it will speed up refresh speed

mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Another option would be to use the web interface to connect to the servers. Don't forget thought that connections using the console connections to VMs use more resources on the ESX host. I'm also not sure which OSs the plugin will run on .

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

alot of people having been looking for it, check out this thread from the New Features Section of the board.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/49061?tstart=0

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
LukeScharf
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding the need for a VMWare console client for Unix desktops, it's because a lot of sysadmins prefer Unix/Linux desktops. I happily manage Windows desktops/servers/infrastructure for those who need it -- but I prefer a Linux desktop for myself.

0 Kudos
LukeScharf
Contributor
Contributor

@jccoca: I'm not talking about connecting to ESX Server from a Unix/Linux server.  I'm talking about connecting to ESX Server from the Ubuntu Linux desktop that I use for all of my desktop tasks.

Doesn't matter anymore, though.  VMWare's support for Linux hosts (such as Centos 5) has been getting less stable as time goes on and it requires more and more low-level kludges (such staying with an old/buggy glibc in order for GSX server's management tools to work), so I stopped using VMWare for my own purposes around the beginning of 2011.  If VMWare was going to give up Linux hosts, I was hoping that ESX server would remove OS-specific depdencies, but since the admin tool is windows-only, there's still a dependence on a single OS.

Fortunately, VirtualBox has stepped up to the plate and provides what I need for experimentation and sandboxes without an OS lock-in.  VirtualBox appears to be running well on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Well why not register http://t.co/DwvZmhH for tomorrows announcements.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos