VMware Cloud Community
willrodbard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Virtual Infrastructure Client missing the "Consolidation Button"

RE: Capacity Planning and the Consolidation Button

Hi,

We currently have 2x Virtual Center Server 2.5 build 64192 set-ups, 1 in test and 1 in what will be the prod env.

The Virtual Infrastructure Client on the VC server in "test" has the "Consolidation" button but the VI Client in the "prod" environment doesn't?

I can't seem to re-enable it anywhere.

I found a semi-useful vmware page that tells you how to disable the feature, but the way described as to hwo to re-install doesn't work.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003400&sl... 0 56717299

I have tried a full uninstall and re-install, stopping\ staring of the relevant services to no avail. I just can't seem to get the damn button back.

We were really hoping to use the feature to plan out consolidation of physical to virtual servers.

The server that has the old test env. on it is due to be killed off today as it is required for something else.

If any one out there know how I can get that button back then a pint will be waiting for you Smiley Wink

cheers

Will.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
willrodbard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, so I think I have answered my own question here, at least I have got where I want to be, but beware, this is probably not the recommended approach as it isn't very clean but it only took about 10 minutes or so to achieve my goal.

I uninstalled eveything to do with the VMware setup but the Licence server and I left the databases in place too. So in un-installed VC server, VI client, capacity planner, update mgr and client...everything.

I was hoping to find something useful or at least a VMware support guide to assist.

as it happenes this also happened to us with the Update Mgr plug-in, some one else un-installed it via the Add\Remove programs applet and that was then un-usable as well.

It seems that if you mess around with the VI client set up in anyway shape or form you have to go back to basics.

Luckily for us we were right at the begining of our live set up and still learning with it so it wasn't too much of an issue, especially as the database was instact so I didn't have to go through the rigmaroll of creating resource pools etc again Smiley Happy

I hope this helps anyone else that has the same problem

Cheers

Will.

0 Kudos
snapper_
Contributor
Contributor

I performed the obvious actions: complete reinstall of VC2.5.0 update 1, reinstalled converter plugin, repair, but did not solve my missing Consolidation button problem.

I opened my VI client on my notebook to the virtual center server, then followed the process of installing the

VMWare Converter Enterprise plugin, and enabled it. but sadly also it did not work.

The "VMware Converter Enterprise Service" is running on my notebook, and after rebooting notebook still no

button?

When I open the VI client on VC server, and connect to localhost, it takes more then 4 minutes before opening.

but when the converter plugin is not installed it goes quick less then 30 seconds. Strange?

Did any body got clear fix to this missing consolidation button/tab issue?

Even after server reboot no button on VC server?

0 Kudos
willrodbard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sanpper$ I think I may have postd my original quesiton twice,

I have replied to your other post (http://communities.vmware.com/message/946034)

I had to do a complete uninstall\re-install of all components (except SQL) to get my 2 missing plug-ins back, it does only take about 10 minutes though

W.

0 Kudos