VMware Cloud Community
a3neil
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Infrastructure Client and ESX 2.5.x ?

I was wondering if it is possible to manage ESX 2.5.x servers using the Virtual Infrastructure Client supplied with Virtual Center 2.0.1 (VI3 package)? I have tried but the connection keeps failing Smiley Sad

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You won't be able to do this directly with the VI client, but you could manage the 2.5.x servers if you have VirtualCenter 2.0/2.0.1 installed.

0 Kudos
a3neil
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave.

I spoke to a mate of mine who is a ESX guru and he concurred with you. I'll have to use the web interface to manage ESX 2.5.x boxes and VI Client to manage the ESX 3 boxes.

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure what your question is. We have about 16 ESX 2.5.x hosts and the VMs running on them that we manage with VC 2.0.1. We use it all the time to VMotion VMs between the 2.5.x hosts and to cold migrate VMs to our new ESX 3.x environment.

All I did was add the ESX 2.5.x hosts to the new VI setup.

Bill S.

0 Kudos
lmotto
Contributor
Contributor

In the latest reply, VC 2.0.1 (VirtualCenter) is referenced but the topic of this thread is: Can you connect to a server running ESX 2.5 with Virtual Infrastructure Client (VI Client.) And the answer is no.

You can connect to ESX 2.5 with VirtualCenter 2.0.1, but this requires a license and a database backend (ie, SQL, MSDE, etc.) VirtualCenter allows you to administer a VMWare farm, where as VI Client (which comes with the VirtualCenter installation files) allows you to administer a single VMWare server. This is similar to the way that VirtualCenter 1.x and VMWare Remote Console worked.

There’s a nice ESX Server, VirtualCenter, and GSX Server Compatibility chart here:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_esx301_vc201.html

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, your correct. I misread the question.

Bill S.

0 Kudos