VMware Cloud Community
chrisb101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Centre Database

Quick question, what would happen if you restored an old version of the Virtual centre databases back on to the Virtual Centre server.

Would you lose all of the Virtual machines on the server back to that point in time?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, you will not lose any virtual machines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Quick question, what would happen if you restored an old version of the Virtual centre databases back on to the Virtual Centre server.

Would you lose all of the Virtual machines on the server back to that point in time?

no, because the guests are part of the ESX Host inventory. However, you would lose performance and historical data. Also, any rules, resource pools, etc you set up on the newer DB.

chrisb101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy,

Many thanks for your reply, I have a backup of the VC database and the Update database which are a few weeks old. I will speak to the company about getting them to do daily backups instead of weekly ones. So If I restore both databases I would only lose the historical data, no new resource pools have been created. Just wanted to double check that i wouldn;t lose any of the Virtual machines - so these are kept on the ESX hosts?

I think it's only the Update database that needs a restore as it is suspect.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, you will not lose any virtual machines.

0 Kudos