VMware Cloud Community
Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center running with SQL 2005

Hello everyone

I am going to install SQL 2005 and VC 2.5 on the same server. Is there any special "gotcha's" I need to be aware of?

Also when I installed SQL 2005 on the same same server that will be running VC, it installed IIS. I know Apache will

be installed with VC. What do I do about IIS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the IIS issue look at this post - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1098932;jsessionid=0575DBF4BCDBCEAF1777E067F0ED308B - IIS is installed for SQL 2005 Reporting Services.

Also note that you can change the port that Tomcat uses if IIS is using the defaults.

As to installing the database server on the same box as the VC server, there are pros and cons to doing this. If they reside on the same server, then network connection between them will be less of an issue, and on the down side, as it's the VC server you porbably wouldn't want to create many other non VI databases - therefore you're using a full licenced version of SQL to host a few databases.

Regards, tait

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the IIS issue look at this post - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1098932;jsessionid=0575DBF4BCDBCEAF1777E067F0ED308B - IIS is installed for SQL 2005 Reporting Services.

Also note that you can change the port that Tomcat uses if IIS is using the defaults.

As to installing the database server on the same box as the VC server, there are pros and cons to doing this. If they reside on the same server, then network connection between them will be less of an issue, and on the down side, as it's the VC server you porbably wouldn't want to create many other non VI databases - therefore you're using a full licenced version of SQL to host a few databases.

Regards, tait

0 Kudos
wardb0071
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The one thing I noticed was that when I had SQL on the same box as the virtual center, the Virtual Center service failed to start after a reboot (service had to be started manually). This was because the service is dependant on SQL being started. If the virtual center service fails, simply make the Virtual Center Service dependant on SQL server being started.

to do this:

1. Open up Regedit

2.goto HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd.

3. Edit the "DependsOnService" entry and add MSSQLSERVER (or if you used an instance use the instance name of the SQL servdr i.e server\mssqlname)

Hope this helps....

Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok guys. I am set..Thank you all for your input.

0 Kudos