VMware Cloud Community
chrisglutz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center not seeing all VMs

For some reason today, Virtual Center is having issues with migrating Virtual Machines. The machines actually move, but virtual center times out and then marks them as orphaned objects.

Is there anyway to get Virtual Center to rediscover all the VMs on each host without having to shutdown all the VMs and rebuild Virtual Center? We are looking for a way to rebuild the list of VMs within Virtual Center without shutting down and/or restarting each ESX server and/or VM.

The individual ESX hosts see the VMs just fine and each VM is still running. We just can manage them through Virtual Center and we also believe it is causing a few issues with HA and DRS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No it will not effect them, the exception being a condition in 3.0.1 if you have auto startups confgiured...

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX11

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try restarting the vmware-vpxa and mgmt-vmware services on the ESX server, if that does not work try removing the host from VC and re-adding it.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

chrisglutz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will restarting these services affect the running virtual machines?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No it will not effect them, the exception being a condition in 3.0.1 if you have auto startups confgiured...

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX11

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After restarting the services if the vm don't appear you can select the datastore the vm is on, right click on the .vmx file and select add to inventory.

0 Kudos