VMware Cloud Community
dustynz
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center listening on UDP 902 and not TCP

I have just done an upgrade from vCenter 2.0.2 to vCenter 2.5 U4.

I installed onto a new server and new database to keep things fresh.

I use VCBmounter for backups and it is now complaining of the connection being actively refused.

Performing a NBTstat shows vpxd.exe listening on ports TCP 80, TCP443, UDP902

VCBmounter tries to connect to TCP902. Why is vCenter not listening on this port.

Can I point VCBmounter at 443?

What other ports can I use?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to vCenter Server forum.

Ensure you upgrade VCB as well as vCenter server 2.5 handles requests quite a bit differently than v2.0.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
dustynz
Contributor
Contributor

I am lost?

Can't find a upgrade/update for VCB (Vmware Consolidated Backup)

This was a fresh install of vCenter on a new server. New database as well as new license server.

Any links?

0 Kudos
ktalati
Contributor
Contributor

Found upgrade to VCB 1.5

Now connecting via 443.

New Error

Error: Failed to open the disk: Cannot access a SAN/iSCSI LUN backing this virtual disk. (Hint: If you are using vcbMounter you can use the option "-m ndb" to switch to network based disk access if this is what you want.) If you were attempting file-level access, stop the vmount Service by typing "net stop vmount2" on a command prompt to force vmount to re-scan for SAN LUNs and re-try the command.

This is after it find the vm and discovers partitions. It has copied a few logs files.

This is a fibre channel SAN

0 Kudos
ktalati
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it is all sorted now.

The nbd (not ndb as in the error) flag seems to have it running. Initially thought that was only for iSCSI devices however seems to be working fine on the SAN.

Thrashing the network a bit but still plenty of capacity.

0 Kudos