VMware Cloud Community
spchurchill
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center crashing on VM power-up

Environment: ESX 3.5, VC 2.5

I have a problem with our VC installation - sometimes when I power-up a VM (not a specific one) through the VI3 client the Virtual Center service stops. This happens when using different administration machines with the VI3 client installed.

The service will restart itself after about 5-10mins but you can speed up the process by going onto the VC server and starting the service manually.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What type of datastore are you using? Also how many VMs/Hosts are you managing? Any errors in the event log of both the VC server and Windows?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This sounds to me as a license issue.

Try to find something in this way....

What is the error logged on windows event viewer on VC server?

0 Kudos
spchurchill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your help both of you.

I am using an HP MSA1500 with SCSI storage on fibre channel. We have about 30 VMs running on 3 hosts (not stressed at all as DRS keeps recommending I shut down a host).

There's nothing in the Windows logs on the VC server for when it stopped but the following event was logged when I restarted the service:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Starting VMware VirtualCenter 2.5.0 build-64192.

There is the following error showing in the tasks of the WinXP VM that I was trying to start.

Name: Power On Virtual Machine Target vPC-Utility Initiated by: Status: Error

Related events:

19/5/2008 08:47:11, vPC-Utility on host esx1.domain.com in London is starting

19/5/2008 08:47:10, Changed resource allocation for vPC template

19/8/2008 08:47:09, Task: Power On Virtual Machine

One thing that I notice from this is that it's trying to change the resource allocation on a VM called vPC-template whilst I am trying to start vPC-Utility which is a clone of vPC-template. vPC-template is normally a template but at the time of turning on vPC-Utility it was running as I was applying updates to it. Have the VMs got in a muddle?

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
spchurchill
Contributor
Contributor

Never really got an answer to this but it's not doing it any more so, unless you know what it was, don't worry. Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos