VMware Cloud Community
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center as a VM on local storage?

The previous systems admin drop the VirtualCenter sever onto local storage (insane as it may be). I want to migrate the storage to the SAN, but as you know, in order to cold migrate a VM is has to be off. IF VC is off, you cannot cold migrate...and round and round we go.

Does anyone see an issue with this process...?

1. Shut down the VirtualCenter VM

2. Copy the VC storage directory from local storage to a SAN LUN.

3. Do a relocate VM Files from the VI Client connected to the Host and choose the VM files on the SAN LUN.

4. Power on the VC server using the shared storage.

-or-

Just cold migrate the storage using the VI Client connected to the Host. ?

The white paper on running VC in a VM says not to cold migrate the VC server if its a VM. So, just looking for the safest / easiest process.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

unregister the host via the cli on the host it reside vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/xxx what vere the path is

copy the folder to the san with all the file

register the host via the cli

you can start the host via the cli or using th vic power up the host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> I want to migrate the storage to the SAN, but as you know, in order to cold migrate a VM is has to be off. IF VC is off, you cannot cold migrate...and round and round we go.

3.5 you could do storage vmotion.... you don't have to cold migrate. I wouldn't recommend running VC in a VM anyway, as your enterprise grows.. you will find VC is more and more demanding and a VM can't keep up.

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should have stated the versions - ESX 3.0.2 and VC 2.02...

I'm not interested in getting into a debate on running VC in a VM, I'm just trying to get it off of local storage (which is the subject of my post). I'll fight the VC as a VM battle later. Thanks for the opinion though.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the VC Database installed locally too? Are you running SQL or MSDE? Probably the easiest way to do it is export the database out to a SQL Cluter if you have one, trash the VM and rebuild VC pointing it to the database.

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the VM database is installed locally on SQL 2005 Express... I know, don't tell me. It's not ideal. Right now I'm just looking to get it off of local storage so any ideas pertaining to that task would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the DB is running locally on SQL 2005 Express, and yet I know this is not ideal. I just want to get the VM off of local storage, so any tips pertaining to that would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

unregister the host via the cli on the host it reside vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/xxx what vere the path is

copy the folder to the san with all the file

register the host via the cli

you can start the host via the cli or using th vic power up the host.

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it. Thanks bggb29!

0 Kudos