VMware Cloud Community
quihong2
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center/VMWare ESX Farm and HP OpenView Integration

Hello all,

We are bringing in HP OpenView Operations and I am researching some options of integrating Virtual Center into OVO.

What are some options to forward Virtual Center and ESX Server alerts and events into OVO? For instance a VMotion event or a host down down event? Of course we will monitoring the VMs themselves treating them like physical machines.

How about Performance and Availability info (trended)? Virtual Center has some great info. However the too bad it is not easily expose outside the console. VMWare does have the schema publish for the database to pull this information out, but I wish they would just provide SQL Reporting Services Reports or Crystal Reports, or some other web base solution to get access to this data.

I found a product from a company call NWorks that looks pretty cool. It is agentless and using Web Service and COM API that VMWare exposes. The reports that comes with it is exactly what I am looking for. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Here is the data sheet: http://www.nworks.com/downloads/vmware/VMware%20SPI%20Datasheet.pdf

Another option I was thinking of using was basic SNMP monitoring of the ESX Servers themselves, but this would be much more limited.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Qui

null

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You are 100% on the right track here.

You can enable snmp trap forwarding from VCMS and install the supplied mibs in OV or any other management tool.

nworks is a nice tool

Message was edited by:

BrianG

0 Kudos
trinc4me
Contributor
Contributor

I have not been able to get snmp trap forwarding to work from either ESX 3.0.x or VC 2.x. The trap community is set properly, I can snmpwalk from a remote system to ESX, and the trap receiver destination is set properly in VC. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
trinc4me
Contributor
Contributor

Qui,

I have you been successful in getting the ESX hosts and VC sending traps to OVO or OVOW? What hardware platform are you using for your ESX servers?

0 Kudos