VMware Cloud Community
jwalker1330
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center Security Logs

Hello,

I have a question about Virtual Center 2.0 that I can't seem to find an answer to. Is there a log on the VC or ESX server that logs console access to VMs? At the moment I have security roles and permissions setup but I've been asked by the "powers that be" to find out if specific users have been accessing the integrated console to a certain VM and so far I haven't had any luck. I've looked at most of the logs on both the VC and ESX and didn't find anything outside of the service accounts.

I'm not sure if this is even an option in VMware or if this kind of logging is possible but I thought you are the guys to ask.

Thank you very much in advance.

Joe Walker

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you looked at the "Tasks/Event" tab, under events it shows who is logging in when and when they log out

- Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jwalker1330
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have but it doesn't show console access. Is there an option or switched for which events or tasks the VC can report on?

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert

It logs that console access was initiated. The problem is that it doesn't associate the event with a UID. I guess you could piece that together with log on the virtual machine to see who logged in when. See the attached report.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Actually, I take that back. You can get the UID but not from the exported report. You have to go into VIC or WebAccess events to see the UID.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
jwalker1330
Contributor
Contributor

This does clear things up a bit. I'll just have to clean things up and have to play around with the filtering alittle more I guess. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos