VMware Cloud Community
silicoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center - Regenerate SSL certificate

Hi guys

I just need to know how to regenerate the SSL certificate on the virtual center

i dont want to replace it with an CA SSL cert - its just that the one that is currently generated is not showing the right details

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Stop VC, backup the current VC certs, delete them, then do a repair install of VMware VirtualCenter through Add/Remove Programs. Do not re-initialize the database during the repair install as this will wipe your database.

You should note that the ESX passwords (vpxuser) and customization template passwords are stored encrypted in the VC database using the SSL certs. This means that you may need to disconnect then reconnect your ESX servers after repair installing VC and also recreate any customization templates that you may have.

Message was edited by: appk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There is no way to "regenerate" a SSL Cert because a renewal means always to create a new Cert. So you have to create a new one and replace the files in the /ssl folder of your VC Installation. Be sure that you stop the service first and run "vxpd -p" for rehashing the password which is used for DB communication after replacing the files!

Otherwise the vxpd service wont start. VMware offers a PDF which describes the process for creating SSL certs which i dont find at the moment.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

silicoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i thought that you could regenerate the ssl certs in the same way that you can regenerate them in esx?

i tried doing it the same way as in esx but obviously VCS services fail to start when it cant find the ssl certs....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Stop VC, backup the current VC certs, delete them, then do a repair install of VMware VirtualCenter through Add/Remove Programs. Do not re-initialize the database during the repair install as this will wipe your database.

You should note that the ESX passwords (vpxuser) and customization template passwords are stored encrypted in the VC database using the SSL certs. This means that you may need to disconnect then reconnect your ESX servers after repair installing VC and also recreate any customization templates that you may have.

Message was edited by: appk

0 Kudos