VMware Cloud Community
infinitiguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center Reboots

With Virtual Center... how hooked into the esx servers is it? I know that it's the license server... but if it reboots.. what ill effect will it have on the esx servers, other than them not being able to be managed by the vc server, nor would any new vm's be able to be powered on(because their licenses are "gone" during the reboot.

The reason I ask is, I have a virtual center machine that I needed to install another application on, and it requires a reboot... and one of my esx servers(not my idea) is now in production... even though it's really still development... so I just want to make sure that while my VC box is rebooting... nothing is going to flip out, and everything should just pick up right back where it was.

Thoughts?

vc2.0.2 w/ esx 3.0.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VM's and ESX hosts won't even miss it....

ESX servers will run up to 14 days without a license server.

From the install guide:

The server-based licensing mechanisms used by VMware software are designed to prevent the license server from being a single point of failure. If your license server stops being available, all VirtualCenter licensed features continue to operate indefinitely, relying on a cached version of the license state. For ESX Server licensed features, there is a 14 day grace period during which hosts continue operation, relying on a cached version of the license state, even across reboots. After the grace period expires, certain ESX Server operations, such as powering on virtual machines, become unavailable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The hosts will function as normal. I believe you have 14 days to get the VC server back up before VC functions stop working.

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VM's and ESX hosts won't even miss it....

ESX servers will run up to 14 days without a license server.

From the install guide:

The server-based licensing mechanisms used by VMware software are designed to prevent the license server from being a single point of failure. If your license server stops being available, all VirtualCenter licensed features continue to operate indefinitely, relying on a cached version of the license state. For ESX Server licensed features, there is a 14 day grace period during which hosts continue operation, relying on a cached version of the license state, even across reboots. After the grace period expires, certain ESX Server operations, such as powering on virtual machines, become unavailable.

0 Kudos
infinitiguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks a mil!

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just reboot it. No problem at all. You can always use the web interface on the ESX server or connect directly through VI client to your ESX server.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos