VMware Cloud Community
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Center Manager -- SQL Server

Can the Virtual Center's database be created on a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 64-bit? Is it compatible and supported on this platform? I know the VC can only run on a 32-bit OS, but I'm hoping the database can at least reside on a 64-bit SQL server.

I hope someone in the community has an answer.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Yes VirtualCenter is supported when running against a 64bit SQL instance, for your information I have moved this post to the VirtualCenter forum as this is a more appropiate location for this type of question.

Please remember to award points for helpful and correct answers

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you're running your sql server on a separate os, which you would have to in this case to support 64-bit, then you won't have an issue. The 64-bit will come into play how the app is loaded and how it runs within the os. To VC, a db connection won't make a difference, whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit, as far as table structure goes. It will stay the same. The db itself may perform differently depending on 32-bit 64-bit, but since vc is not an intensive db user, you can go either way. I've co-located my vc db on an existing 64-bit sql farm with no problems, as well as the same on 32-bit sql farms.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos