VMware Cloud Community
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center Issues

I have tried but cannot find any definitive answers to this problem. My virtual center is working fine, I can do everything except use "Open Console" to connect to my VMs. I get the infamous "Cannot connect to host (ESX): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." As I said earlier HA, DRS, VMotion all works great but I can't view the VMs from "Open Console" any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

deleted.

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have IIS installed on the vCenter server? What port is the vCenter web server configured for? If IIS is installed, the vCneter web server must be configured for a port other than port 80.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

No IIS. If I had IIS installed, none of the other parts would be working. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Put your ESX servers IP, long name and shortname in your VC servers HOSTS file.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Neth66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where are the VC Server, Client, and ESX hosts in relation to each other? I don't remember the exact details, but in ESX 2.5 days we had a similar problem, and we'd be able to see the console if the client was on the same subnet as the VC Server.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Each of my esx boxes has the IP, FQDN, and short name in the host file. Thx!

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok but do you have it in your VC servers hosts file as well?

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

The VC Server, Client and ESX host are all on the same subnet 10.1.X.X. I do have an isolated non-routable iSCSI to SANs with another service console 192.168.X.X.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

After careful research and testing I have found the problem. The issue stems from the MS ISA 2006 client. VMware console is Winsock based and all traffic of this type is intercepted by the firewall client which over wrote the local routing table. Just disabling the client is not enough, you have to remove it. Whew... mystery solved.

0 Kudos