VMware Cloud Community
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center Issues

I have tried but cannot find any definitive answers to this problem. My virtual center is working fine, I can do everything except use "Open Console" to connect to my VMs. I get the infamous "Cannot connect to host (ESX): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." As I said earlier HA, DRS, VMotion all works great but I can't view the VMs from "Open Console" any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Please try this KB link to resolve the problem.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/749640

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the sugestions in the KB but no luck. Here's some more info; I'm using VC 2.5 U3 and ESX 3.5 U3. Again everything woks except "Open Console".

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you open it if you connect directly to the host with VI client?

If you found this or any other answer helpful please consider the use of helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure if I understand you. I have the VI Client installed on a server that contains the database and license server. When I login to this particular server I cannot connect using "open console"

0 Kudos
wazoo9000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

He/She wants you to connect directly to the ESX host that is hosting the virtual machine versus connectiong to VC. I am interested in this as well, are there any firewalls between your VC server and your ESX hosts? We will probably need some additional details in reguards to your topology.

-------- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.
0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I can login to the esx host by using web browser by name or IP and view all the VMs on both ESX hosts but not using "open console" on VMware Infrastructure Client.

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you state you are using open console you are doing this when connected using the Vi client? What i was curious to see is if you could use the Vi client, not web browser, and connect directly to the ip address of a host. You would be logging in as root. This ussually helps narrow down a database or vicenter issue.

Rob

If you found this or any other answer helpful please consider the use of helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Yes with the VI Client I can logon to the esx host and use "open console" to view the the VMs. When I logon to my VI Client server I cannot use the "open console".

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you recieving information for the VM's on the perfomance tab? Have tried restarting the virtual center service on the VI Center system? You could also try running the reconfigure HA on each host in the cluster.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Everything is fully operational on the VI Center system and no errors are displaying. Again, only the "open console" does not work from the center. Is there something in the esx hosts that could be altered? Thx!

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try restarting the vicenter service and reconfiguring HA on each host? this has worked for me in the past when i was seeing some odd behavior from Vi Center.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

Performed suggested items but no change.

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you could try running or installing the vi client on another system than the VI center system. Not sure if your network is setup to allow this but it could help identify if there is an issue with the VI center OS blocking the connection for some reason ( Firewall )?? i have also found that windows event logs sometimes can provide some information. you could try to open the console and then check the system,security, and app.event log's to see if they have any new entries.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running the VI Client from two other systems with the same result and no errors showing in the "Event Viewer". The only indication I get is the error at the beginning of this post.

0 Kudos
rstierna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry! I'm running out of ideas. Do you have a support contract with

VMware? It sure seems to be either a database or VI center configuration

issue. I ran across on old post earlier today that mentioned they had an

issue with the ports changing after upgrading VI center. They found

that it was configured to use 905 or 903 instead of 902.

0 Kudos
rick-vanover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure you are running the correct VMware Infrastructure Client - meaning - your actual VpxClient.exe file is from Update 2 or earlier. Grab the current VI Client by going to: and click the link to download the client. Then re-connect to vCenter or directly to the ESX host.

Remember that ESX 3.5 U3 came out AFTER VC 2.5 U2 -> so the client on the ESX host will be newer.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running VC 2.5 U3.

0 Kudos
rick-vanover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, but what build is your client? Looking for a number like 119598 or 119826. If the Build # in the Help About number is not the greater of the two, you do not have the current VI Client.

0 Kudos
Al_MILCORP
Contributor
Contributor

It's VI Client #119826 and V Center 119598.

Here's some more info. I have 2 ESX boxes and a iSCSI Openfiler 2.3 SANs. I have my iSCSI connections on a different subnet all other functions working, i.e. VMotion. HA, DRS, etc.

0 Kudos