VMware Cloud Community
martinwillb
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center (Does not stay connected)

Does anyone have the problem with Virtual Center's connection being lost to the ESX server. I turned off my desktop firewall. does Noton Anti Virus have anything to do with the connection loss?

Thx

WM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

There are quite a few threads on the forum relating to issues with the connection between VC and ESX being dropped.

I assume you mean when you add the host - all is well and then about 2 minutes later the host is seen as disconnected from the VI

client - you reconnect, and then drops out again. This normally due to that fact that the heatbeat traffic from ESX back to VI on port

902 is blocked somewhere along the line.

VC --> ESX host:902/tcp

VC --> ESX host:903/tcp

ESX host:902/udp --> VC (UDP heartbeat)

ESX host --> VC:27000/tcp

ESX host --> VC:27010/tcp

Obviously firewalls are good place to start looking. Also remember that the connection from VI to the ESX for administration goes VI->ESX while the heatbeat is initiated in the other direction ESX->VI. Try opening a telnet connection to TCP port 902 on the VirtualCenter to eliminate the possibility of a router/switch ACL blocking the traffic as a starter.

jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I'm having this issue in my lab environment of VC 2.5 and ESX 3.0.x

ESX hosts show up fine for a few minutes, then they go into a disconnected state, along with all the VMs of course.

Short term resolution is to stop and re-start the VirtualCenter Server service on the VC 2.5 server. But again, the ESX hosts will go offline in a few minutes.

I took a look at my VC2.5 log files but I'm not sure yet what to make of them. I captured a timeframe where the hosts went offline in VC2.5 and it happened somewhere in the 17:47 timeframe. As you will see in the attached logfile, there are many events happening in the 17:47 timeframe. Could one of them lead to the root cause?

Jason Boche

VMware Communities User Moderator

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos