VMware Cloud Community
Mr_Spain
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center Converter Enterprise issues

Hi All,

Hope you are able to cast some light on this.

I am looking to find a definitive list of ports required for communication between VC2.5, ESX 3.5, Converter enterprise and the physical hosts being converted/imported wihtin a secured firewalled envirotnment. Our current Virtual Infrastructure places the all ESX hosts behind an internal firewall, with specific ports opened between VirtualCenter and ESX hosts to allow administrative communication.

In previous versions of Converter I believe that port 902 had to be opened between the ESX host and the physical; however, in more recent versions I was lead to believe that this was no longer the case. Infact I am given the impression that the converter process no longer requires a direct IP connection between the remote physical machine and the target ESX host.

The latest documentation () for Converter Enterprise (page 23) states:

TCP/IP Ports required by Vmware Converter Enterprise for VirtualCenter:

• Converter Enterprise server to remote physical machine 445 and 139

• Converter Enterprise Server to VirtualCetner Server 443

• Converter Enterprise Client to Converter Enterprise Server 443

• Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server 443

The above port requirement is fine, our current firewall configuration allows this; however, Converter Enterprise is still unable to convert a physical remote machine. I have a feeling that it is due to the fact that converter agent on the Remote physical machine is trying to talk via port 902 directly to the ESX 3.5 host. I know this as the vmware-converter-agent.log states:

"Couldn't connect to esxhost:902 Cannot connect to host esxhost: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

So does anyone have a clear and exact list of the TCP ports required for communication between VirtualCenter, ESX, VirtualCenter Converter Enterprise and the remote physical machine?

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tjk
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to know this as well, as I cannot find any documentation which lists the exact ports needed.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a link that might help -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos