VMware Cloud Community
Treadstone71
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center Connection Lost

Hi,

We are running VC server 2.0.1 with all ESX hosts 3.0.1. The management server is a physical server running Windows 2003 Ent R2 with SP1. As of yesterday, the VIC comes up with the following message:

Cannot connect to host : No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I have done the following:

\- Rebooted the server

\- The VMware VirtualCenter Server Service was stopped so I started it. I was able to log into VCI but about 10 or 15 minutes later it would lose connection. I see the service again and it's not running. I try to start it and it says that the service on the local computer started and then stopped. I cannot start it.

\- On the Application event viewer for that server, it had a lot of MSSQL error saying that the transaction logs for the database (virtual center database) was full and told me to free up some log space. I have done that but I still cannot log into the VCI. The service wouldnot start.

\- Restarted the SQL services and then tried to start the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service but still the same msg of "service on the local computer started and then stopped".

Anyone had this problem? If, so how was it fixed? It just started out of the blue, so to speak.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to look at the log files here: c:\windows\temp\vpx\ (see page 30 here: http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/tac4096.pdf)

You can also try to run the VC service as an app if you're not seeing anything in the logs: run vpxd -s - see page 44 of the above PDF

0 Kudos
Treadstone71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave. Looking into it right now. Let you know when its fixed.

0 Kudos
Treadstone71
Contributor
Contributor

I have started it as an app with vpxd.exe -s. Launched VIC. It worked. Then stopped vpxd.exe -s. Started the VI Server service and could log into VIC. Hopefully it will stick this time. Sent the diagnostic files to vmware.

0 Kudos
Treadstone71
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea on how to stop the transaction logs to not fill up quickly? The log file is configured with restricted growth to 1GB. We are using SQL server 2005.

When we send the diagnostic files to vmware, they said that the reason why we are geting the errors were because the vmware database logs file was getting full. Now I have created new log file before leaving work last night, but this morning I went into VCI and within an hour, the log file has reached its max and then disconnected me from the VIC. We have HA and DRS configured. It didnt recommend any migrations either.

Why would the log files max out so quickly? I am the only one using VCI.

Thanks.

0 Kudos