VMware Cloud Community
ericsowa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center 2.5 w/ Customization Specifications, Deployemnt of 2003 Server

We are having a problem in VC2.5 when using Customization Specification with sysprep on Window 2003 Server Seployments. If we have vmware specify durring deployment IP and system name, when the server is fully deployed the Drive letter get all messed up, which then cause my system to not work corectly. We just did a 80 server deployment and had to go back and change every drive letter. C:\ Data d:\ Data p:\ page file after sysprep was c:\data d:\page file e:\data. We have opened a case with vmware support and they say its a microsoft issue. We want to continue to use this featuer to automate system deployments, to reduce steps but this part of drive swap has raised a red flag.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sysprep does this to me as well. Our physical CDROM Drives are all set to Z: in my environment. sysprep always makes them return to the first available drive letter D,E,F, etc.

Sysprep will also wipe out your windows source file location if you've specified it

In general I do this across the board for all templates. Add a folder C:\post_sysprep" In that folder, put a file called post_sysprep.bat

Then add this file to run after sysprep in your Customization Specification. Just do this as one of your template steps even if you're not using it.

Now in this folder put .reg files, .bat files, .vbs files or whatever you need to do post sysprep work and add them to your .bat file

Once you've got this setup, you can do something like this: (In fact I'm going to do it now because I'm tired of changing my CDROM letters)

run dispart and determine the volume number of each disk on your template with "list volume"

now create a text file (diskpart.txt) with the diskpart commands to set these volumes with the appropriate drive letters

select volume 1

assign letter=d

select volume 2

assign letter=p

Now put this command in your C:\post_sysprep\post_sysprep.bat file

diskpart -s "C:\post_sysprep\diskpart.txt"

Now this command will run each time you clone a new template and save you the trouble of doing it manually.

You will probably require a reboot since your page file is on one of the disks but sysprep reboots anyway.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sysprep does this to me as well. Our physical CDROM Drives are all set to Z: in my environment. sysprep always makes them return to the first available drive letter D,E,F, etc.

Sysprep will also wipe out your windows source file location if you've specified it

In general I do this across the board for all templates. Add a folder C:\post_sysprep" In that folder, put a file called post_sysprep.bat

Then add this file to run after sysprep in your Customization Specification. Just do this as one of your template steps even if you're not using it.

Now in this folder put .reg files, .bat files, .vbs files or whatever you need to do post sysprep work and add them to your .bat file

Once you've got this setup, you can do something like this: (In fact I'm going to do it now because I'm tired of changing my CDROM letters)

run dispart and determine the volume number of each disk on your template with "list volume"

now create a text file (diskpart.txt) with the diskpart commands to set these volumes with the appropriate drive letters

select volume 1

assign letter=d

select volume 2

assign letter=p

Now put this command in your C:\post_sysprep\post_sysprep.bat file

diskpart -s "C:\post_sysprep\diskpart.txt"

Now this command will run each time you clone a new template and save you the trouble of doing it manually.

You will probably require a reboot since your page file is on one of the disks but sysprep reboots anyway.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

0 Kudos