VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Center 2.5 update 4 -- better to install anew than upgrade??

We have a recently installed vCenter Server, and the hosts have not yet been brought into usage yet.

The release notes make upgrading appear kind of complicated to upgrade.

What is the general best practice for Virtual Center -- re-install new or upgrade??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I just went through an upgrade from U3 to U4, it was very easy. It does touch your DB and upgrade it, so I would make a backup copy of your DB before you proceed, otherwise its pretty straight forward

Froste
Contributor
Contributor

Tom,

I am old school and believe that a clean installation is the best practice, as you can reattach the previously created database so all of your performance and historical data will be retained. As you have not brought the ESX Hosts into use as of yet you have the flexibility to experiment with the upgrade as you do not have to worry about downtime. The upgrade is not as complicated as it seems, but you do want to have a good backup of the database to be safe.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the installer allow you to state that you want to upgrade??

Were the new plugins any hassle??

There were several notices about doing this and that -- re-registering

plugins etc. which is why I asked.

I don't mind it touching the database, there's not much in it yet. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Does the installer allow you to state that you want to upgrade??

Yes, whatever components need to upgraded there will be an (upgrade) next to it.

Were the new plugins any hassle??

Plugins were very easy. I use vCenter Converter and VUM, they installed no problem

There were several notices about doing this and that -- re-registering

plugins etc. which is why I asked.

Yes, since the plugins get upgraded you will have to install and enable them again.

tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I gave out points. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I will do the upgrade -- our setup is really small so I don't think there will be any problems.

I like the idea of the new Performance Viewer plugin.

BTW apparently the next vCenter version will be quite different...someone tweeted this from VMworld Cannes...

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Sharantyr
Contributor
Contributor

The VMwareUpdateServiceClient.exe aka VMware Infrastructure Update don't work after update.

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nep. - I did update three vCenter U2 to U3 without any trouble,. Plugins needs to be re-enabled,...

Smiley Happy AAW

0 Kudos
Sharantyr
Contributor
Contributor

I don't talk about plugin "update manager". And I'm talking about U3 to U4.

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry - I meant U3 to U4 of course....was just a mistake in writing....

0 Kudos
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya, Just upgraded my U3 VC inc all components to U4 with no problems. Perf data is still there, everything looks fine. Nice and easy this time. Was there less questions? I remember the older upgrades being a bit of a pain. Whichever what way - I'm quite pleased. Nice.

0 Kudos