VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual Center 2.5 running 2008 Serevr 64bit

Is anyone running the virtual center on 2008 64bit server? I want to do so but figured I would check first.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Spad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I recall correctly it doesn't support 64-bit, though it should run on 2008 32-bit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Spad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I recall correctly it doesn't support 64-bit, though it should run on 2008 32-bit.

0 Kudos
indrajeets
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try a microsoft Virtual machines and have a 32bit VM and install VC in top of that. The inbuilt Hyper-V!

as the VC supports 32bit

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

VirtualCenter 2.x installation is not supported on 64-bit operating systems.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

64-bit / 32-bit doesn't matter. Oracle has a problem running 64-bit although it's not really a problem, it's just not supported, because the QA group in VMware hasn't certified it yet, but SQL 2005 is supported, 2008 isn't. It's not an issue with either 64-bit or 32-bit.

Nevermind, I was thinking this was for the database, not the actual OS.

Message was edited by: RParker

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do so at your own risk 2008 just came out, I would wait until you see what problems fall out before I rely on my VC / VM's on it..

I am all for testing, but just don't start putting all your hopes on something that hasn't been tested.

0 Kudos
Justin_King
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I gave it a shot but ran into a few problems before deciding it wasn't worth it

But if you want my notes: here's the short cliff's version to at least get it installed:

1.. You need to orca most the .msi packages so the supported version is bumped from <600 to <700 otherwise you will "brick wall"

2. The license Server vmware installs will not start. furthermore if you hit cancel when it errors on start it will roll back and uninstall. However, you can download and install the most recent licenense server to get around this (there's nothign special about the vmware license server). May take a bit of research to find the site again, as i have forgotten where I found it, but as I recall vmware is a full version behind (10.x vs 11.x).

3. Keep the advanced firewall settings open at all times. Every plug-in is going to want a new port opened to do it's work from, so just be ready.

Basically I got it to work ... but decided in the end that I did too much "hack work" to go much furhter or try the plug-ins. Instead i hope thier next version officially supports the platform.

0 Kudos
gregb_ka6max
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just confirmed that you cannot install VirtualCenter 2.5 on Windows 2003 R2 64-bit. I am going to uninstall 2003 and reinstall as a 32-bit OS. Too bad.

0 Kudos