VMware Cloud Community
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center 2.5 - Recover password

When I try to log in to my Virtual Center, it tells me "login failed due to bad username or password".....how can I check or recover my password?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think I understand now -VC does not create a user for itself but relies on existing windows accounts - by default the local administrator's group of the windows machine you installed VC is assigned administrator permissions to your VC environment - so you should be able to log on using the local administrtor account of the windows machine -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since the username windows based and is either local user on the VC server or a Domain based user can you gain administrator access and reset the password there?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The password and username is not windows based. During the installation, it asks your to specify a password.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So you are looking to recover the ESX password - check out this link - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124911

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can log onto to the ESX server using the VI Client...However, I cannot log onto the VC.

Does this make sense? I thought VC has its own password since it tells you to type one in during the installation.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think I understand now -VC does not create a user for itself but relies on existing windows accounts - by default the local administrator's group of the windows machine you installed VC is assigned administrator permissions to your VC environment - so you should be able to log on using the local administrtor account of the windows machine -

0 Kudos
vmPUNK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's local windows or domain account.

Now if someone messed around with permissions, you could be permanently out of it, regardless of login or password.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check out page 265 of for more information -

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it using the local admin account of the server

THANKS!!!!

. I guess the username\password you put in during installation doesnt matter...?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can you repair the VC 2.5 installation to see if ask you for the password again? I haven't try this yet no need for it but would worth trying on a test machine just to see how it works. I'm sure its built in windows administrator account ties with permission hardcoded somewhere you have to dig around.

Can you try going to VC server->Services->Virtual Center Server Services Properties->Logon As->and specify different administrator account to see if it works. It runs as system user account by default. Smiley Sad This might not work because it just a services but who knows give it a shot.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The password might be store in VC server SQL database have it check out to see anything familiar. Trying to think where else it would store the password.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad I could help - the username and password you entered actually are used by VMware Converter Enterprise to access the environment

If you found this helpful please do not forget to award some points - :smileycool:

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Funny, didn't read his replied on time while typing...sounds like local admin account !

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos