VMware Cloud Community
kohaug99
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center 2.0.1 Service will not start

The license service seems to run fine, but the virtual center service refuse to start. I run the database on a separate oracle server.

When I try to start the Virtual Center Service I get this error message: "The vmware virtual center server service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop autmatically if they have no work to do, for example, ther performance logs and alerts service.

I get the following errors in the event viewer:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Shutting down VMware VirtualCenter now.

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Starting VMware VirtualCenter 2.0.1 build-32042.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jp-H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Kohaug99.

I ever seen this kind of message. Usualy when the virtual center service can't communicate with the database.

There is a lot of possible reason: bad config, database stopped, IP etc...

Try a tnsping on your virtual center server to see if the database responds.

Then verify ODBC parameters.

0 Kudos
kohaug99
Contributor
Contributor

The connection to the database is ok, I also checked the db and saw that during the install of VC it created numerous of tables.

I've also verified that I did not have a sqlnet.log file and when I tried to log on with wrong credentials (to the oracle connection) the log file was created at once. Are there any other dependencies I should know of? From the event viewer it seems like I'm missing a few dll's.

tnsping is ok, ping of the oracle server is ok and I conclude that the odbc connection is ok since vmware created tables on my tablespace on the oracle db.

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Check whether the dependency services are started.

Hope this Helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos