VMware Cloud Community
ed0g
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vi Client closes immediately when connecting to Virtual Center 2.5, but not when connecting to the ESX 3.5 host directly

I am having an issue where my Vi Client will close immediatly when connecting to a Virtual Center instance, but not when connecting to the ESX host directly. I have confirmed this on 2 seperate ESX installatons. I am running the client on Vista, and it was working last week without problem. I was doing some migration work for a client, shutdown my machine for the night, and in the morning began seeing the problem

In the VPX logs there was some access denied errors related to some ocx files that needed to be registered. I ran the client as administrator and got the same result. Both logs are attached and both seem to fail at the same point when starting to invoke 31.

Again, I can connect to an ESX host with the same VI client without issue. I have already tried to uninstall/reinstall and same result. Both logs are attached (with admin creds and without)

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you install/enable any of the plugins? Update manager? converter? Did those get removed as well?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you connect to VC from another workstation?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you install/enable any of the plugins? Update manager? converter? Did those get removed as well?

-KjB

0 Kudos
ed0g
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. In both cases, another workstation or the client running locally on the VC server connects with no issue.

0 Kudos
ed0g
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, both plugins have been installed.

No, neither was removed and re-added...will try that now.

-

Update (6/6 14:30 CT):

Removed the Converter Enterprise Client, Vi Client, Infrastructure Update, and Converter product and I am now able to connect. Since I removed them all at once, not sure which one is the culprit, but I will add them back one at a time until I discover the problem (I suspect the Update Manager, because I was using the standalone converter product before without problems, and uing the converter client to do my migrations) More updates to follow, but I am now able to connect again.

FYI, I did a SP1 update as well after I confirmed connectivity, and everything is still working, So for what it is worth, Vista SP1 running the Vi Client 2.5 connecting to both ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 works for me on an HP8510P.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In order to get my plugins working correctly. I installed them from the VC install media, and not directly from plugin manager. Under the vc cd, in the vci direcotry, there is vmware-umclient.exe for update manager, and there should be a capacity planner exe for that plugin.

-KjB

0 Kudos