VMware Cloud Community
Cael13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter upgrade from 2.5-4.1 and move to new host

Hi all. Sorry for my ignorance but I am completely new to vmware. I have picked up a client who curently has ESX 3.5 and Vcenter 2.5 running on server 2003. I would like to move to a new server 2008 host and upgrade to Vcenter 4.1. I have read some suggestions that a clean install would be better vs an upgrade. I am really just looking for the fastest solution that will allow me to manage the VM's from the new 2008 host with vCenter 4.1. Please give me some guidance (possibly hand holding Smiley Happy) on this process. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gomjaba2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not a DBA, but have a look here : http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

Also, have a look at the Data Migration Tool ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Cael13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bump?

0 Kudos
Gomjaba2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To be honest, a clean install would be the quickest way.

I just guess now, but I can imagine that your Server 2003 box with vCenter 2.5 is 32 Bit. Do you intend to upgrade to 2008R2 ? If so, then that is out, as you cannot upgrade Server 2003 to 2008R2 unless you have the same architecture (and R2 only comes in 64 Bit).

You also need to consider SQL - is the database installed on the same server, will this cause any issues when upgrading the OS ?

Here is what you need to know

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

Specifically page 28 onwards (Backup).

If you don't mind reconfiguring your vCenter (create cluster / DCs / alerts / etc.) then you really might be better off performing a clean install.

Simply setup a second server, install vCenter / SQL and the lot. Remove the hosts from one vCenter to another etc. - that can all be done without any downtime of he hosts.

In fact, I had to do something similar as we moved from a physical server to a VM and from 2.5 to 4.

1. Installed new VM, different IP

2. Installed vCenter / SQL

3. Created objects / custom alerts as per old vCenter

4. Disconnected / Removed hosts from old vCenter

5. Added hosts to new vCenter

6. Once the old vCenter was empty, shut down

7. Added old vCenter IP to new vCenter (I didn't need the new IP so the new vCenter had both IPs, old and new)

Downtime : 0

Time needed : less than a day ....

Time needed when upgrading, including the OS and all apps required : God knows ...

0 Kudos
Cael13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a new 2008 R2 box setup and ready to go.  I will go with the clean install method. Also since I will need to move the SQL database from 2005 to 2008 is there anything special to be aware of here?

0 Kudos
Gomjaba2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not a DBA, but have a look here : http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

Also, have a look at the Data Migration Tool ...

0 Kudos